Clicking sound after swapping PCB on dead/fried HDD WD10EARS

Sep 4, 2018
I got a WD10EARS that i fried by using an older psu harness and sent 12V into the 5V pin. So i was hoping to save some of the data on this HDD. I ordered a "identical" PCB from Asia, same REV and "serial-number" . And ive read around that you will have to take the BIOS-chip from the old PCB and solder it to the replacement PCB. This has been done. I was able to get a friend to solder it for me, for free...even thou its a terrible solder-job as you can see it should all be connected at the pins. Not a permanent solution to the soldering, its only so i can move all data from the HDD immediatly to another HDD. (Is there a way i can check that all pins are connected via a multimeter?)

I mounted the replacement PCB with my BIOS-chip soldered onto it, but when i connect the HDD and start my computer im only getting a faint clicking sound, as if the Drive tries to move the arm/spin up (i dont know which one makes the sound). Its like it wants to do something but doesnt have either enough power or a block somewhere to do so.

Im not sure how attachments and files can be linked here so i hope these links get you to the video and pictures i want to show you. i DO see that a few of the main SMD`s have a different modell number or fabricator. Apart from that im fairly positive that its identical for the model of HDD

A video where you can hear the sound the HDD makes plus a few photos..

https://vimeo.com/290165709

Thank You

Sep 4, 2018
In what way would it have been damaged do you think? I can faintly remember the HDD making the same sound when i tried the replacement PCB without having changed the BIOS chip yet aswell.

Ralston18

Titan
Reference: "In what way would it have been damaged do you think?"

See #2 per USAFRet.

And will add that the damage can happen during the original de-soldering to remove the chip or the re-soldering onto the new PCB.

Or both.

Besides: If the replacement PCB had worked without replacing the bios chip, the problem would be moot. No need to do any soldering.

Sep 4, 2018
Thats not a burnmark its only the light from the camera that creates a black spot during negative photos. :)

It didnt work with the replacement PCB alone..it made the same noise as it is doing now.

And about the backup thing...The whole reason i lost these HDD`s was because i was gonna backup for the first time. If i hadnt started messing about with that i`d still have my files haha :\ *sigh

USAFRet

Titan
Sounds like an actual dead drive. Replacement PCB or no.

And not to harp on the concept, but backups are what you do before the BadThing happens.
And a "backup" is a second copy, not the "only" copy.