Clicking sound after swapping PCB on dead/fried HDD WD10EARS

Sep 4, 2018
I got a WD10EARS that i fried by using an older psu harness and sent 12V into the 5V pin. So i was hoping to save some of the data on this HDD. I ordered a "identical" PCB from Asia, same REV and "serial-number" . And ive read around that you will have to take the BIOS-chip from the old PCB and solder it to the replacement PCB. This has been done. I was able to get a friend to solder it for me, for free...even thou its a terrible solder-job as you can see it should all be connected at the pins. Not a permanent solution to the soldering, its only so i can move all data from the HDD immediatly to another HDD. (Is there a way i can check that all pins are connected via a multimeter?)

I mounted the replacement PCB with my BIOS-chip soldered onto it, but when i connect the HDD and start my computer im only getting a faint clicking sound, as if the Drive tries to move the arm/spin up (i dont know which one makes the sound). Its like it wants to do something but doesnt have either enough power or a block somewhere to do so.

Im not sure how attachments and files can be linked here so i hope these links get you to the video and pictures i want to show you. i DO see that a few of the main SMD`s have a different modell number or fabricator. Apart from that im fairly positive that its identical for the model of HDD

A video where you can hear the sound the HDD makes plus a few photos..

https://vimeo.com/290165709

pcb1_zpsnrxwxavw.jpg

pcb2_zpst6dnv0zo.jpg

BIOS_zpswhnrychv.jpg

Thank You

Sep 4, 2018
In what way would it have been damaged do you think? I can faintly remember the HDD making the same sound when i tried the replacement PCB without having changed the BIOS chip yet aswell.

Ralston18

Titan
Reference: "In what way would it have been damaged do you think?"

See #2 per USAFRet.

And will add that the damage can happen during the original de-soldering to remove the chip or the re-soldering onto the new PCB.

Or both.

Besides: If the replacement PCB had worked without replacing the bios chip, the problem would be moot. No need to do any soldering.

Sep 4, 2018
Thats not a burnmark its only the light from the camera that creates a black spot during negative photos. :)

It didnt work with the replacement PCB alone..it made the same noise as it is doing now.

And about the backup thing...The whole reason i lost these HDD`s was because i was gonna backup for the first time. If i hadnt started messing about with that i`d still have my files haha :\ *sigh