[SOLVED] clicking sound from HDD

close.css

Reputable
Oct 6, 2017
hi. i got a hard disk drive ( MAXTOR STM31000528AS) from my friend but after i power it up i'm hearing a sound from it (of course only when i'm copying files to it).
i used CrystalDiskInfo and the health status is "good" in that program and i don't know if this sound is normal or not.
I also record the sound(while copying): https://voca.ro/6ea9MFHFvRl.
can i use this hard drive?

Solution
Sounds like that is when the head is parking due to inactivity. Windows will 'wake' it up every few minutes from my experience and cause another round of clicks. You might even be able to hear it spin up.

Regardless, never keep your only copy of something important on a single device. The more copies you have of your important stuff, kept on different devices, the safer it is from being lost.

USAFRet

Titan
hi. i got a hard disk drive ( MAXTOR STM31000528AS) from my friend but after i power it up i'm hearing a sound from it (of course only when i'm copying files to it).
i used CrystalDiskInfo and the health status is "good" in that program and i don't know if this sound is normal or not.
I also record the sound(while copying): https://voca.ro/6ea9MFHFvRl.
can i use this hard drive?
If we out here say "Yes, use it", and it fails...what will you do?

close.css

Reputable
Oct 6, 2017
If we out here say "Yes, use it", and it fails...what will you do?
interesting question... first of all i won't copy personal things in it,only games and movies and things that i won't care if it fails.. and your answer is i will probably try to repair if it worth it or just throw it in trashcan.
but i won't use it if there's chance that will damage other components. :(

close.css

Reputable
Oct 6, 2017
A failing drive won't hurt anything but the data on it.

From your audio, I didn't hear any specific 'clicks'.
you're right about that audio but sometimes it's like a clicking sound when i'm not copying ( probably playin a game or the time trying to open a movie).
maybe i have to boot a windows on it and see if it's still quiet or not while working with that windows?

popatim

Titan
Sounds like that is when the head is parking due to inactivity. Windows will 'wake' it up every few minutes from my experience and cause another round of clicks. You might even be able to hear it spin up.

Regardless, never keep your only copy of something important on a single device. The more copies you have of your important stuff, kept on different devices, the safer it is from being lost.

Reactions: close.css
Solution

close.css

Reputable
Oct 6, 2017

it's silent when it's inactive. it's start to noise when it's working ( installing a game or copying )