clicky sort of noise faulty hdd?

Bill Hilly579

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
I'm having a problem with an hdd and I don't know if this is normal.my hdd seems to be making writing noises at idle.and it sounds similar to thishttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9obzgmWrlM.i cant remember that happening before but I would like to know if this is normal or possibility a faulty hard drive?because this noise I usally hear it when my pc is doing something but I now hear this noise while the pc is idle.im using a ssd for my os btw.help is appreciated.

Solution
Regardless, if the sound is the same then it sounds like a lot of drive activity. I would still check drive activity when you hear the noises.

Bill Hilly579

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
i never forget to back up my drives but could it be possible that all hdd drives are like that?because i can usally hear a faint sound of my drive spinning whilei sit on my desk.its not too loud like case fans but you can hear a very low faint sound of the hdd spinning.also another question.since this hdd is a Seagate 1tb hdd and i probably have about 100gb free space could the lack of space be the cause of the loud drive?

A little noise with any mechanical drive may be normal but the clicking sound is not the same as a drive spinning. Clicking is sign of impending drive death. I seriously doubt that having only 100GB free is going to cause the drive to make the drive loud.

Bill Hilly579

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

yeah but its not a CLICK OF DEATH sort of click noise its more like a noise when you load something up or download something you hear that seeking noise which i understand is normal.but now with my situation i hear that noise randomly but low pitched.i even hear it when my pc is idle its not constant tho but its random.is that defected or am i paranoid.(god i hope I'm just paranoid)

Are you drives set to power down when idle? If yes, that could explain the spinning up sound you hear when you access a drive and the spinning down noise you hear when the drive has been idle for a while. Have you checked with the drive manufacturer to see if any diagnostic tools are available for you to test the drive(s) in question.

Bill Hilly579

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

I have the drive constant on but the thing is is this ch ch ch noise during idle a normal thing? you know when the hdd is reading or loading a page you hear that noise.so I'm hearing that noise at random times when the hardrive is up n spinning even tho its just idle and not doing any work it still making that seeking noise randomly.is this a thing with all hdd or a defect?i tried scanning the drive for defects but it seems fine.

Bill Hilly579

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
best I can escribe it as is a rattle sound just like the link of the vid I posted on the first post.its not way too loud but just load enough to hear it out of the pc case.faint loud.also the sound of my drive spinning I can hear it out of my case.just to note that the drive had no defective behaviour and dosent do any funky or defective stuff.its the noise I'm worried about

From the first part of the video it sounds like a lot of drive activity and that may be the case with the latter sound as well since you hear it from inside the case. Have you checked drive activity when you hear these noises? Have you looked to see what else is running when the drive activity is peaking?

Bill Hilly579

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

sorry I forgot to tell you that its not really my vid this vid link I posted is just an example of what it sounds like.my apologies I should've said that in the first post

Bill Hilly579

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

yeah it does sound like drive activity but the problem is I hear this noise when on idle and I don't see anything at least on taskbar making my secondary hdd working.

Bill Hilly579

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
hey guys I just found out what the issue was.i unplugged the sata connectors and powerd my pc and the seeking noise was gone and only left with the sound of the hdd spinning.it seems that the noise had to do with background work or the hdd doing something when idle.by the way thanks for the replies and advices