Client / Server Time Difference

Darrell

I have a Windows 2000 Server (BDC) that is showing an
error at log that there is a time difference between the
client and server and it cannot log in. Based on the way
it is configured, I cannot log in locally to tell it to
sync to the time server. I can access the server through
manage computer and mapping a drive to it (i.e.
\\...\C$). What do I need to do to get it to sync with
the time server?

Thank you
Darrell

One way is to write a script with 'net time /setsntp:<timesource>' and have
it as a startup script. Then reboot the computer and the time will sync.

Regards,
/Jimmy
--
Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

"Darrell" <dlorenzen@inhp.org> wrote in message
> I have a Windows 2000 Server (BDC) that is showing an
> error at log that there is a time difference between the
> client and server and it cannot log in. Based on the way
> it is configured, I cannot log in locally to tell it to
> sync to the time server. I can access the server through
> manage computer and mapping a drive to it (i.e.
> \\...\C$). What do I need to do to get it to sync with
> the time server?
>
> Thank you
> Darrell

"Darrell" <dlorenzen@inhp.org> wrote in message
> I have a Windows 2000 Server (BDC) that is showing an
> error at log that there is a time difference between the
> client and server and it cannot log in. Based on the way
> it is configured, I cannot log in locally to tell it to
> sync to the time server. I can access the server through
> manage computer and mapping a drive to it (i.e.
> \\...\C$). What do I need to do to get it to sync with
> the time server?
>
> Thank you
> Darrell

There is no such thing as a W2K BDC and a W2K infrastructure uses the time
synchronisation service to synchronize the time throughout a domain. Only
the PDC emulator should sync with an external atomic clock. Clients sync
with login servers, and DCs sync with PDC emulator (the time authority of a
W2K domain). Breaking this hierarchy within the intranet can potentially
destroy a domain since all communication in W2K is timestamped.

Download the w32TimeService Document at MS's Whitepapers URL.

"Darrell" <dlorenzen@inhp.org> wrote in message
> I have a Windows 2000 Server (BDC) that is showing an
> error at log that there is a time difference between the
> client and server and it cannot log in. Based on the way
> it is configured, I cannot log in locally to tell it to
> sync to the time server. I can access the server through
> manage computer and mapping a drive to it (i.e.
> \\...\C$). What do I need to do to get it to sync with
> the time server?
>
> Thank you
> Darrell

There is no such thing as a W2K BDC and a W2K infrastructure uses the time
synchronisation service to synchronize the time throughout a domain. Only
the PDC emulator should sync with an external atomic clock. Clients sync
with login servers, and DCs sync with PDC emulator (the time authority of a
W2K domain). Breaking this hierarchy within the intranet can potentially
destroy a domain since all communication in W2K is timestamped.

Download the w32TimeService Document at MS's Whitepapers URL.

...but make sure you give it a *chance* to sync!! ie. wait for most of the
HDD activity to stop before trying to log in.

If you log in as soon as you see the Ctrl-Alt-Del prompt you might still get
the error. I've seen people trying to log on locally (as fast as they
possibly can) get into all sorts of strife.

I thought this was only an NT4 issue until I saw it several times on W2k..

Cameron:)

"Jimmy Andersson [MVP]" <jimmy_noSpam_@mvps.org> wrote in message
> One way is to write a script with 'net time /setsntp:<timesource>' and
have
> it as a startup script. Then reboot the computer and the time will sync.
>
> Regards,
> /Jimmy
> --
> Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> ---------- www.qadvice.com ----------
>

> "Darrell" <dlorenzen@inhp.org> wrote in message
> > I have a Windows 2000 Server (BDC) that is showing an
> > error at log that there is a time difference between the
> > client and server and it cannot log in. Based on the way
> > it is configured, I cannot log in locally to tell it to
> > sync to the time server. I can access the server through
> > manage computer and mapping a drive to it (i.e.
> > \\...\C$). What do I need to do to get it to sync with
> > the time server?
> >
> > Thank you
> > Darrell

Yes, but you can specify a SNTP server on the clients, preferable on of the
DCs within the domain.

Regards,
/Jimmy