Client SSD vs Enterprise SSD Recommendation

TLander

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
Hello All,
I am needing help in deciding what type of SSD to incorporate into our existing server. My IT wants to go with the Enterprise version 1.2TB intel SSD at a cost of roughly $2200 and I am not sure that we couldn't get away with just using a Consurmer/Client model of a Samsung 850 PRO or a comparable Client SSD. The reason I am not sure that it is validated to get the Enterprise version is because we only have about 5 people tops that will be using the server and the workloads isn't constant. Only 2 people are consistently using the server for the most part. I am needing help in understanding why our IT is adamant about the Enterprise version when we are a small shop. We would do mirror dual SSDs and we have backups onsite and offsite so data retention and loss are at a minimum with the backups occurring multiple times a day. I would just like some help trying to understand if there is any reason we can't go with a $300-400 Consumer Samsung Pro vs a $1200 dollar Intel/Samsung/etc. Enterprise SSD. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

JaredDM

Honorable
Enterprise SSD's can handle more load before the memory will begin to degrade, so it's always recommended for server applications. However as you say there's only 5 users and a good backup, I can't see why a consumer grade SSD wouldn't work for you. I'm guessing that the Enterprise version is also a PCIe board rather than a SATA, so it will be faster. Maybe not $1200 faster, but still faster.

If this is used in an internal facing server (meaning you are not Amazon and putting your web servers on it or something), then it would not matter too much if you use a standard drive. You should also check the warranty for it. There may be issues with constant use and read/write cycles, the enterprise drive may be rated for longer use.

Why can't you ask your IT department why they say to use the Enterprise, there are benefits but those may not apply in your case.

TLander

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
All of our work is internal and there won't be much usage outside of the office other than remote desktop from home occasionally. From my research it looks like the Client model SSD have a long enough life in them before degrading that it won't really hurt us; especially the newer models. We currently are using an LSI Controller with 2 480gb Samsung 850 PRO SSDs as cache running between 2 crap HDDs to our LOCAL PCs and we are seeing bottlenecks running data from the server. I feel like the cheap HDDs ($80 WD)they put in aren't able to keep up. We migrated to a TS setup to eliminate the network being an issue and are still seeing the bottleneck. I tested the project out on my LOCAL PC to see if I saw the same problem and the difference in running the same calculation was hrs and hrs different. Took 5 minutes to do the process on my PC and about 12 hrs on the TS server.