Question ClipGrab software

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
A few days ago I downloaded the ClipGrab software to download songs and videos from YouTube.

This is an open source software.

I must point out that this is one of the simplest and most fun programs to use.

I consulted a friend who specializes in data security and after running a test on the software, apparently found that it was basically a malware.
She sent me this link for reference:[spam site link removed]

On the other hand - I have not encountered any issues related to this software ..

MalwareBytes scan found some suspicious component and then I put it into quarantine.

Kaspersky's (full and in-depth) run did not find a problem, even in files I already downloaded through the software.

Virus Total had 16 anti-viruses detect the software as problematic.

what do you think?

Do you recommend to delete it?

If so, is there a good, safe, and easy to use alternative to downloading songs and videos from YouTube?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
No need to bump.

This site is staffed by volunteers who may be doing research or otherwise looking into the problem or subject at hand.

As for the deletion question:

Yes - delete. No point in taking chances even if the AV scans are inconsistent and differing.

Alternative download software:

Because I do not download songs and videos via YouTube I will defer on any software recommendations to do so.

However I am compelled to mention that downloading content from YouTube may run afoul of copyright laws.

Reference - just for the record:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/is-it-legal-to-download-youtube-videos/

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
No need to bump.

This site is staffed by volunteers who may be doing research or otherwise looking into the problem or subject at hand.

As for the deletion question:

Yes - delete. No point in taking chances even if the AV scans are inconsistent and differing.

Alternative download software:

Because I do not download songs and videos via YouTube I will defer on any software recommendations to do so.

However I am compelled to mention that downloading content from YouTube may run afoul of copyright laws.

Reference - just for the record:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/is-it-legal-to-download-youtube-videos/

Although it's not the answer I was hoping for I appreciate a lot the eloquence and honesty in your reply.

Thank you.