I just upgraded from Windows 98 to XP. I like XP a lot
better, but I sure do miss Cliptray. I've Googled around and haven't
found an easy way to make Cliptray work on XP. Is there a way to make
it work without having a degree in computers, or is there an
alternative program that will work on XP?

Thanks in advance.

CLIPTRAY for Windows XP
http://www.sofotex.com/ClipTray-download_L12881.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Glenn S." wrote:

| I just upgraded from Windows 98 to XP. I like XP a lot
| better, but I sure do miss Cliptray. I've Googled around and haven't
| found an easy way to make Cliptray work on XP. Is there a way to make
| it work without having a degree in computers, or is there an
| alternative program that will work on XP?
|
| Thanks in advance.

I have not had a problem "migrating" my beloved Cliptray from Win98 to
Win98SE to WinXP, SP1 and SP2. When I realized (years ago) that it had
been abandoned, I looked for and found it on the old 98 CD and copied
it (there are 5 or 6 files). When I upgrade Windows or get a new
computer, I just click on cliptray.exe and there it sits in the system
tray as always. I use it for filling in 16-digit shopping information
<g>.

If you want copies of the files, let me know. They can be put in a
directory on any drive. After you execute cliptray.exe the first time,
the program automatically loads to bootup (as it always did). I know
that it is dangerous to accept files from someone who you do not know.
Your decision. If there is another way of doing this--anyone--please
help.

I was very excited to read the previous response and downloaded the
Cliptray XP. It does not work in the same way as Cliptray 98.

LaModiste

> "Glenn S." wrote:
>
> | I just upgraded from Windows 98 to XP. I like XP a lot
> | better, but I sure do miss Cliptray. I've Googled around and haven't
> | found an easy way to make Cliptray work on XP. Is there a way to make
> | it work without having a degree in computers, or is there an
> | alternative program that will work on XP?
> |
> | Thanks in advance.

This old article tells you how to get the file from the Win98 CD:
ClipTray is part of the Windows 98 Resource Kit Sampler, located on
your installation CD. If you've installed the entire sampler (by
running setup.exe in the CD's tools\reskit folder), you can start
ClipTray as follows. Select Start, Programs, Windows 98 Resource Kit,
Tools Management Console. Click Close to exit the Tip of the Day;
navigate your way to Tool Categories\Desktop Tools; then double-click
ClipTray in the right pane. If you prefer to install only ClipTray,
copy the three ClipTray files from the installation CD's
tools\reskit\desktop folder to your location of choice. To run
ClipTray, double-click cliptray.exe.

Using ClipTray is a piece of cake. Let's assume you have a paragraph
of text on the currently active Word document that you want to be able
to paste into multiple documents. Assuming ClipTray is already running
(its icon will appear in the tray of your Taskbar), select this text
and press Ctrl-C (or select Word's Edit, Copy command). Click the
ClipTray icon, select Add, type a name for the entry-such as
"letter closing"-click the Paste button, then click Close.

Whenever you want to insert that exact paragraph, click the ClipTray
icon and in the pop-up menu, select that entry by name. The paragraph
is now on the Windows Clipboard. Place the cursor where you want the
text, press Ctrl-V (or select Edit, Paste), and it's in there.

If you have a whole slew of ClipTray entries, the list that appears
when you right-mouse-click the ClipTray icon (in the tray of your
Taskbar) will be quite long. And unless you have a VERY good memory,
you may forget exactly what's what, even if you've used what you
think are descriptive names. To eliminate any confusion, turn on
Preview Mode: Right-mouse-click the ClipTray icon, select Options, then
select Preview Mode. Now, right-mouse-clicking the ClipTray icon and
selecting an entry presents a preview of that entry. If it's the
right one, click OK and go ahead with the paste. If not, click OK and
preview another entry until you find it.

By default, ClipTray will display up to 20 entries in its menu. If you
have more than 20 entries in the list and don't want to select More
every time you need an entry numbered higher than 20, increase
ClipTray's menu size.

Right-mouse-click the ClipTray icon and select More. Under Menu Size,
move the scrollbar button over until the number of entries matches what
you had in mind. If the list won't fit on your screen, click the
arrows at the bottom (and top) of the ClipTray's menu to scroll
through the out-of-sight entries.

Are there a few ClipTray entries you use more than others? ClipTray
displays menu items in the order in which you add them, but you can
always rearrange the list, to place oft-used items where you want them.
Right-mouse-click the ClipTray icon and select More. Select any entry,
then use the Move Up or Move Down buttons to position it where you want
it in the list.

Want to delete a ClipTray entry? Right-mouse-click the ClipTray icon
and select More. Select any entry, click Edit, click Delete, and then
click Yes to confirm. (While you're at it, notice that the ClipTray
Editor allows you to edit any entry.)

I tried to put Cliptray on my computer by moving the Cliptray files
from my backup hard drive to my C drive. I still have my Win98
installation CD. If I use it to try to load Cliptray onto my hard
drive, will it cause problems with XP?

"LaModiste" <Kateri@msn.com> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general...

>I have not had a problem "migrating" my beloved Cliptray from Win98 to
>Win98SE to WinXP, SP1 and SP2. When I realized (years ago) that it had
>been abandoned, I looked for and found it on the old 98 CD and copied
>it (there are 5 or 6 files). When I upgrade Windows or get a new
>computer, I just click on cliptray.exe and there it sits in the system
>tray as always. I use it for filling in 16-digit shopping information
><g>.
>
>If you want copies of the files, let me know. They can be put in a
>directory on any drive. After you execute cliptray.exe the first time,
>the program automatically loads to bootup (as it always did). I know
>that it is dangerous to accept files from someone who you do not know.
>Your decision. If there is another way of doing this--anyone--please
>help.
>
>I was very excited to read the previous response and downloaded the
>Cliptray XP. It does not work in the same way as Cliptray 98.
>
>LaModiste
>>
>> "Glenn S." wrote:
>>
>> | I just upgraded from Windows 98 to XP. I like XP a lot
>> | better, but I sure do miss Cliptray. I've Googled around and haven't
>> | found an easy way to make Cliptray work on XP. Is there a way to make
>> | it work without having a degree in computers, or is there an
>> | alternative program that will work on XP?
>> |
>> | Thanks in advance.

I have not had any problems moving the files around in WinXP. Create a
directory for them, put the files in that directory and click on the
executable. The six (6) files are:
cliptray.exe
cliptray.hlp
cliptray.gid
cliptray.cnt
msgblast.ocx
cliptray.txt (contains the text bits that you are storing for use)