[SOLVED] Clock rate and number of cores is the simplest way to see CPU's power for a noob. What should I look at when checking a GPU's

hassan.kassir002

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017
So, I haven't checked computers since 2015. I have forgotten everything. I know there are more than just clock rate and number of cores to measure a processor's power, but it's all what you need if you know so little like me. What should I look when checking a GPU's power? Is the number of cores, clock rate, vram the only thing to look at if I know so little? I would like to know what is considered low, mid and high for a CPU, GPU, RAM and HDD/SSD in 2019. I don't know how much computers evolved today. I would also like to know where can I learn more about hardware. Can you tell me what should I type in google? I only use this site for forums, Will seeing the news here tell me about today's hardware products and technology?

Solution
Simplest method: use the TH GPU Hierarchy (https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html). Basically, if they're in the same box/row, they're roughly comparable in performance.

More involved method: haunt reputable benchmarking sites (TH, Techspot, Anandtech, & others out there), read their reviews & benchmark testing of the cards & games as they're released (note that TH & especially Techspot will also tend to go back & sometimes retest older hardware to see how it stacks up to today's crop).

Unfortunately, you can't necessarily just compare CUDA/compute cores, clock speeds, or anything like that. Even within each camp, the architecture & performance can vary so much from generation to generation that you can't...

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
Simplest method: use the TH GPU Hierarchy (https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html). Basically, if they're in the same box/row, they're roughly comparable in performance.

More involved method: haunt reputable benchmarking sites (TH, Techspot, Anandtech, & others out there), read their reviews & benchmark testing of the cards & games as they're released (note that TH & especially Techspot will also tend to go back & sometimes retest older hardware to see how it stacks up to today's crop).

Unfortunately, you can't necessarily just compare CUDA/compute cores, clock speeds, or anything like that. Even within each camp, the architecture & performance can vary so much from generation to generation that you can't necessarily compare them.

Solution