[SOLVED] Clock speed always the same (Ryzen 5 3600)

Bloody George

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Hi people!
So, my recently-acquired Ryzen 5 3600 clocks at 3.6Ghz all the time. I previously had an i5 6600k and before that, an i7 3770; both of which dropped in frequency whenever the system didn't need that much power.
Now my 3600 keeps its regular clock at all times, even when idling. And when I activate boost clock on the BIOS, it stays at 4.05Ghz and 1.4v at all times too. Neither the clock nor the voltage change at any point.
Is there a way to change this and make my CPU's frequency relax once in a while? I've tried Win 10's power saving plans and nothing has worked so far. I don't know if I'm missing something here, a feature from the BIOS or Ryzen Master. Can you guys help me?

Solution
Why do you want it to relax? That'll literally just decrease your CPU's potential, and 3.6 is, I believe, the base clock for the 3600. This means that there's no reason for it to dip, unless you want to manually underclock it to something less powerful. If you wanted, you could manually overclock it to 4.0 on all cores based on what you've said here.

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Why do you want it to relax? That'll literally just decrease your CPU's potential, and 3.6 is, I believe, the base clock for the 3600. This means that there's no reason for it to dip, unless you want to manually underclock it to something less powerful. If you wanted, you could manually overclock it to 4.0 on all cores based on what you've said here.

Solution

Bloody George

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
I don't know why, to be honest. Maybe it's because I was used to Speedstep in my Intel chips and found it strange that my 3600 is locked at 3.6Ghz; maybe it's because I have this idea that running at the same speed all the time will decrease its longevity. Does it make any sense?

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Yeah, that makes sense to me. Don't worry about longevity, and especially don't be afraid to experiment with overclocking should you run into any CPU bottlenecking. These chips are some of the best on the market as far as I can see, and nobody I've seen has complained about longevity. Think of it as your CPU saving itself from having to kick into gear, so to speak, at all, by simply staying in gear all the time. As long as temps are staying reasonable, there's no cause for panic there. Enjoy your CPU, and have a good day!

Reactions: Bloody George

Bloody George

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Yeah, that makes sense to me. Don't worry about longevity, and especially don't be afraid to experiment with overclocking should you run into any CPU bottlenecking. These chips are some of the best on the market as far as I can see, and nobody I've seen has complained about longevity. Think of it as your CPU saving itself from having to kick into gear, so to speak, at all, by simply staying in gear all the time. As long as temps are staying reasonable, there's no cause for panic there. Enjoy your CPU, and have a good day!

Nice! Thank you a lot for clearing that up! Yeah, the temps are actually really sweet at the moment; it stays in the 40s C under load. I'll definitely experiment with overclocking; I edit videos, so that should help me out a lot.

Additionally, definitely do not use any power plan except for the Ryzen one, as it is designed to get more performance out of your CPU. Any others are essentially a user-induced bottleneck.

Got it! I'll choose it and see how the performance responds.
Again, thanks a lot, friend!

Bloody George

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Oh, for those who may see this post in the future, the option that you're looking for - if you're looking to let your processor underclock when idling - is AMD Cool n' Quiet, in your BIOS (probably under the "Advanced settings" tab). Also, my monitoring software - HWiNFO64 - was getting the CPU clock wrong. Ryzen Master detected oscillations in clock speed as soon as I installed it. In my case, I decided to leave the frequency at 3.6Ghz at all times, as @iiSlashr mentioned. It's true: no reason to let it underclock unless you have a specific scenario like high temps or instability.