[SOLVED] Clock watchdog timeout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2019
hello I would like to ask what could be caused by a PC with a new new motherboard with a new processor, RAM and GPU ran all well till yesterday and today when I played it fell twice and I threw it ==> Clock watchdog timeout
New OS: since September 13, 2019 the problem occurred only today around 12 th

MB : MSI b450 gaming plus
CPU : amd ryzen 5 3600
RAM: HyperX Fury Black 8GB DDR4 2400 ( 2x ) [16GB]
GPU : Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 GAMING, 6GB GDDR5
HDD 1 : HITACHI HUA7210SASUN 1 TB ( OS WIN 10)
HDD 2 : HITACHI HUA7210SASUN 1
PSU : Corsair tx850W ( 850W )

Solution
All the BSOD (up until the last 2) mention - CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_INVALID_CONTEXT_nt!KeAccumulateTicks
searching by that I get another case where the ram speed is wrong. Ram speed hasn't shown on any of the dumps, which is not unusual for PC's dumps but I am still not sure what its speed is, He has new bios now so it should show.

Prime95 also tests ram, its possible some ram settings are wrong?

did we ever run this? Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

If op can upload copy of the prime95 logs (believe text file goes to install folder) we can see what they...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Unfortunately every stop error (BSOD) is different and there is no one cause for each one. The Clock Watchdog Timeout is in typically in brief terms, a mismanagement between threads and cores of your processor, usually a thread or core is waiting for an action to complete or waiting to process an action, and if that "signal" does not arrive, it timesout, and results in the bug check.

This can come typically from misbehaving drivers, but can calso come from some hardware. It is especially common in Virtual Machine environments if you are running them, it can also be hardware conflicts such as incompatibility, mixed RAM, or even firmware conflicts with the hardware.

We'd have to see the dump files to potentially advise otherwise my friend :)

Regardless, you will probably want to make sure you update all of your drivers (not using a driver updater) including your motherboard and chipset drivers. You may also want to see if there is a BIOS update available.

You will also want to ensure that no XMP or Overclock of your CPU, GPU, or RAM isn't causing the issue and that your RAM are not from mixed packs.

[C]oopeZz

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Hello,

I'm his friend and tried to help with that BSOD for two days. His system was stable for whole week. Then, after installing a few games from steam he started experiencing issues with Clock_watchdog_error. He never overclocking his hardware. He had all drivers needed (GPU, chipset, audio etc.). Then, we just tried to make new clean system installation. However, we almost cant pass the basic Win 10 startup option menus because of it. Luckily, we did it, installed first windows updates and successfully installed needed drivers for his software. He was able to use computer for few hours without BSOD. We also updated his bios to newest version (he had outdated version. However, there things starts to be interesting...

Even when he have newest version (I have same MOBO), he have "msi click bios 1" but I have "msi click bios 5". The click bios 1 looks like this:
bbizg75r0m831.jpg

My bios "5" looks like this:
8075_44_ultimate-msi-z270-gaming-m7-motherboard-build-guide.png

(note: images are not from our system, I found exact images of interface on google)

Important thing is that I have older version than him, which points me to SW problem instead of HW, that's just my shot in the dark... Something must happened that week because we did almost all non-hardware changes including OS. Any idea?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So does the BSOD occur practically everytime you boot into WIndows?

If so first port of call for me would be to try and boot into safe mode and see if the BSOD reoccurs. Or at least attempted a clean boot state (through msconfig) from Windows and seeing if the issue.

If you can't even boot into Windows at times that would be a bigger problem.
I'm sorry for having to ask, but need to check, is it a legitimate and legally activated Windows?
When you clean installed windows, did you also ensure all other drives were disconnected and followed a guide such as this: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

We would probably need the dump file from the BSOD to help analyse further to see what modules or hardware could be causing conflicts.

[C]oopeZz

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
BSOD occur while doing basic options while booting to a new installed OS, now he is able to use PC but BSOD is happening multiply per day, randomly no matter what he's doing.

He has legitimate but not activated Windows. He just wanted to make it "work" and purchase digital version after payday (in 20 days), then just activate it. Now we are worried if we even buy it when we have it in this state. The .dmp file will be up in minutes.

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Firstly I would try booting into Safe Mode then and see if the issue persists. If that is all clear, I would then try booting into a clean boot state, if the issues still occur in safe mode, we know we're not looking at third party drivers / software.

Remember to just post a link to the dump file itself :) so I can download and run it.

Reactions: [C]oopeZz

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have run the dump files and you can see the full reports here - it should be noted that 2 of the dump files were corrupt and therefore could not be used (this can happen for various reasons):

Dump 1: https://pste.eu/p/9QOY.html
Dump 2: https://pste.eu/p/GEaO.html
Dump 3: https://pste.eu/p/f2AX.html

Summary of findings:
BugCheck 101
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KeAccumulateTicks+1cbb90 )

Bugcheck Description:
CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
"This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval.

The Clock Watchdog Timeout is in typically in brief terms, a mismanagement between threads and cores of your processor, usually a thread or core is waiting for an action to complete or waiting to process an action, and if that ""signal"" does not arrive, it timesout, and results in the bug check."

About your bugcheck:
"This can come typically from misbehaving drivers, but can calso come from some hardware. It is especially common in Virtual Machine environments if you are running them, it can also be hardware conflicts such as incompatibility, mixed RAM, or even firmware conflicts with the hardware.

• Confirm that hardware is compatible with your system.
  • View the third party modules of the report to view which drivers may be misbehaving."

Some things to consider:
  • I would highly advise you to view the full report above, as this will contain much more detail as to the bugcheck and modules running at the time. As a heads up, never use a driver updater to update drivers.
  • Are both RAM modules from the same pack?
  • Can you confirm what BIOS you are running?
  • Can you reset the CMOS and ensure that all BIOS settings are at default.
  • There should be a chipset driver update available for you to download: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PLUS#down-driver&Win10 64
  • There may also be an updated Audio driver available from the above link too
  • Can you confirm if the issue does in fact occur in safe mode?
@Colif may also be able to help shed some light being as you do have a limited number of drivers running.

Reactions: [C]oopeZz

[C]oopeZz

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Great job, are you able to tell me where did you "run" the dump files? :D

So:
1 - We installing drivers from official websites (MSI, NVIDIA etc.). I have bad experience with updaters so I also recommending to update it manually.
2 - Computer using dual RAM - HyperX FURY - DDR4 - 8 GB, packed together.
3 - Bios is "7B86v1B " from here. His BIOS version telling "E7B86AMS.1B0". He has the newest 2019-08-30 .
4 - He maybe can do it :D I'm not with him right now.
5 - Exact same chipset computer using.
6 - Also audio driver from same website.
7 - We'll try safe mode.

Thank you so far.

Edit: Oh I forgot, he experiencing freezing during "gathering information" while BSOD. So this is the reason why 2 files were corrupted.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If your wondering what I use to simply run commands on the dump files, it's WinDBG from SDK package. If you're wondering what the software I use as a whole to do all the automatic hard work (commands) and running the report you see there, It is my own program (states in the links provided at the top everything I use :) )

No problem at all, I can see from the driver list it does look a little less like hardware. Thus why I think the safe mode and clean boot state is important, as it will help us identify where thr problem might be.

How new is the clean install? I'd be tempted to try clean re-installing again using Media Creation tool here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

If the issue is still occuring after that point, I'd probably be looking at hardware diagnosis. But we want to eliminate software/firmware first as to avoid any unnecessary pain. There are million commands I could run for the clock watchdog, but it could turn into a wormhole, and when you have all your information to hand, I suspect it will be more effective to simply run through remaining drivers, then test safe mode and go from there.

Let me know how safe mode goes :)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
We tried Driver verifer again and no errors. But guess what, after rebooting from safe mode the BSOD occured again. Driver verifer was not used in safe mode.
Driver Verifier should usually just be left in the background for a long period of time, and effectively it is trying to force a BSOD. So if you have new BSOD post the dump files here :)

But in short, you need to just leave DV on in the background, eventually it will force an error.

Colif

Win 11 Master
CPU don't work like that. The CPU will run at the settings controlled by motherboard. The cpu itself doesn't have any say in what speed it runs besides setting minimum/max speed

CPU will run at its base speed and will only run faster if bios is set up for an overclock. Some BIOS have other features that might be on that bump the speed up without overclocking, like Multi Core Enhancement for instance.

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Unfortunately the dump analysis is completely inconclusive. Which is usually a result of corruption. So I am unable to read any module or system information. So i can't run the dump file report fully, but I will at least post some key elements below. Did you say you had a BSOD occur in safe mode?

Missing image name, possible paged-out or corrupt data.
Debugger can not determine kernel base address

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)
An expected clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor in an
MP system within the allocated interval. This indicates that the specified
processor is hung and not processing interrupts.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000010, Clock interrupt time out interval in nominal clock ticks.
Arg2: 0000000000000000, 0.
Arg3: ffffbc80baa80180, The PRCB address of the hung processor.
Arg4: 0000000000000008, The index of the hung processor.

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner
MODULE_NAME: Unknown_Module
IMAGE_NAME: Unknown_Image
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: CORRUPT_MODULELIST_CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
FAILURE_ID_HASH_STRING: km:corrupt_modulelist_clock_watchdog_timeout

Colif

Win 11 Master
This might explain difference in appearance of both bios - have you got different CPU models?
After you update the BIOS, the user interface will be totally different compared to the previous version . We simplified user interface of the BIOS to support as many processor models as we can due to the limited size of BIOS ROM. Although the BIOS is Click BIOS version (GSE Lite) with less graphics and icons than Click BIOS 5, you won’t lose MSI exclusive function such as A-XMP, M-Flash and Smart Fan Control.
https://www.msi.com/page/mb-beta-bios

the change to that UI happened in BIOS 7B86v18 & 19, and would be included in any afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.