[SOLVED] CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT bsod motherboard or CPU?

Priv

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Hi All,

So this issue has me stumped right now. I am fairly certain I have managed to pinpoint it to either the CPU or motherboard. Setup:

MSI b550 gaming edge wifi
ryzen 9 3900x
DD4-3600 16-16-16-36 (tried xmp + bios default)
Adata sx8200 pro 2 tb
RTX 3080
Corsair RM850

Issue
My computer will experience random bsods with CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT and high latency spikes in latencymon on a variety of drivers, but most often its wfd01000.sys or storport.sys. When testing video games sometimes audio would freeze in a loop and computer would freeze for 1-2 seconds. This also sometimes happens in idle. The issue is random and infrequent so its difficult to test. BSOD memdumps are inconclusive, process varies but is generally related to the kernel. Sometimes memdump doesn't even list a process.

What I have tried
  • Memtest 4 passes (6 hour run)
  • Try old ram that I know that works (this hasn't caused a bsod yet in limited testing) - Currently testing this more and will report if this works later
  • Prime 95 for 1 hour, temps about 65 C
  • GPU and PSU work in another build so I can rule these 2 out
  • Tried another hard drive that I know that works
  • Reinstalled windows up to 4 times
  • Update bios to latest stable version
At this point I am starting to run out of ideas. So far I haven't seen a crash yet with my old ram, but I do still see high DPC latency spikes in latencymon for storport.sys. How would I pinpoint if it is the motherboard or cpu without ordering a cheap tester cpu? I don't have any ryzen or spare AM4 motherboards...
Edit: I just got a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT with other ram as well. This ram I know is good. So that singles out the ram... Only two components left, CPU or Motherboard.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Solution
For any people stumbling upon this issue:

99.9% sure it is my CPU. I have tried:

Replacing mobo
Replacing RAM
Replacing HDD
Replacing GPU

This just leaves the CPU left as the only component. Will be returning the CPU to the shop.

Edit: It was the CPU. New CPU and crashes have stopped.

Priv

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
For any people stumbling upon this issue:

99.9% sure it is my CPU. I have tried:

Replacing mobo
Replacing RAM
Replacing HDD
Replacing GPU

This just leaves the CPU left as the only component. Will be returning the CPU to the shop.

Edit: It was the CPU. New CPU and crashes have stopped.

Last edited:
Solution