Question Clockdrop at ~55°C Ryzen 3 3200G

Jan 7, 2021
Hi from Italy. I got my 3200G almost a year ago and started to overclock it like two months later. I reached 4.00GHz at 1.325V for the Cpu and 1650Mhz at 1.1V for the vega 8 iGpu, all stable. But when both are under "heavy" gaming or stress test, after 15 min, both underclock. Underclock a lot, the Cpu is locked at 545 MHz all core and the Gpu is locked at 200 MHz. It makes everything unplayable for about 30 sec. It's not thermal throttling, They rarely hit 58°C. I really dont know what to do.

Hi from Italy. I got my 3200G almost a year ago and started to overclock it like two months later. I reached 4.00GHz at 1.325V for the Cpu and 1650Mhz at 1.1V for the vega 8 iGpu, all stable. But when both are under "heavy" gaming or stress test, after 15 min, both underclock. Underclock a lot, the Cpu is locked at 545 MHz all core and the Gpu is locked at 200 MHz. It makes everything unplayable for about 30 sec. It's not thermal throttling, They rarely hit 58°C. I really dont know what to do.

Check your motherboard temps - whilst the CPU might not be getting hot, if the motherboard VRMs get too hot the motherboard will throttle down the cpu to compensate.

Jan 7, 2021
Check your motherboard temps - whilst the CPU might not be getting hot, if the motherboard VRMs get too hot the motherboard will throttle down the cpu to compensate.
I dont know much about vrms, looking into some other forums i saw that the only thing i could do is actively cool them. My Sharkoon TG4's airflow isnt good enough i think. I'll try to undervolt the cpu anyway, maybe could help.
Do you know other things that could help?

I dont know much about vrms, looking into some other forums i saw that the only thing i could do is actively cool them. My Sharkoon TG4's airflow isnt good enough i think. I'll try to undervolt the cpu anyway, maybe could help.
Do you know other things that could help?

Yeah it's likely an airflow issue - you can also potentially buy some aluminium heat sinks to add onto the VRM components (assuming your board doesn't have any). Anything you can do to increase airflow over the components will also help a lot.

Out of interest what motherboard are you using?

One other thought is you could look at adding a discrete gpu, as that will reduce the power running through the cpu and therefore reduce the load on the VRM (as it will only be powering the cpu cores not the graphics as well). There are plenty of cards about faster than the igpu in that 3200G that shouldn't cost too much if you don't mind looking at second hand parts. Something like an RX560 or GTX 1050 series cards would probably do the trick.

Jan 7, 2021
Yeah it's likely an airflow issue - you can also potentially buy some aluminium heat sinks to add onto the VRM components (assuming your board doesn't have any). Anything you can do to increase airflow over the components will also help a lot.

Out of interest what motherboard are you using?

One other thought is you could look at adding a discrete gpu, as that will reduce the power running through the cpu and therefore reduce the load on the VRM (as it will only be powering the cpu cores not the graphics as well). There are plenty of cards about faster than the igpu in that 3200G that shouldn't cost too much if you don't mind looking at second hand parts. Something like an RX560 or GTX 1050 series cards would probably do the trick.
I got an MSI b450m pro m2 max, cheap and easy, as I wanted this build. I'm planning to build a better pc in the future, like a 2060s or 3060 if i can, paired with a 3600x or 5600x, maybe later this year or next year.
I built this just for have a nice machine to explore the world of pc that i discovered to like a lot, but I dont think that this cpu is worth even a light upgrade like a 1050.

Dont get me wrong, this apu is an amazing package, for €95 is the best deal i've done last year, but even at 4GHz it can sometimes bottleneck its own vega 8, without fps cap on some competitive games. Thanks a lot for the advices, and sorry if I made some mistakes, my english is coming from watching LTT's, mkbhd's and dave2d's video!

Reactions: cdrkf