Question PC randomly freezing, cpu temps and clocks going crazy.

Jun 6, 2020
Hi everyone, new to the forum and pretty new to PC gaming and building in general. I have been having issues with my PC freezing randomly, during a game, while browsing, and even right upon start up. It’s been doing it pretty much since I replaced the motherboard and CPU. (It was a prebuilt to begin with.)

So far I have:
-Done a fresh install of windows after mobo and cpu replacement.
-Replaced original RAM stick and added another, total is now 16GB.
-Upgraded SSD to 500GB, reinstalled OS onto that.
-Replaced GPU from RX570 to 580.
-Rechecked all wires and cable connections.
-Did complete system reset. (Put windows ISO file on USB and booted from that.)
-All updates and drivers are current.
-Ran SFC.
-Ran memory check.
-Turned off startup and background apps. (I think that’s everything.)

Now, about a week or so ago, my CPU clocks are all over the place, even on idle. Anywhere from 798mhz to 4193mhz. The first core seems to stay at 798 more than the others, though it does fluctuate too.
Task manager says system idle process takes up to 99% usage, though I read that was normal. When I have nothing else open other than task manager and my monitor, that’s the only thing that has a number really.
The temps are going a bit haywire too at times, but not all the time.
If I run a game with nothing else open, CPU utilization goes to 100%
I have messed with the BIOS settings a bit but after that I did a cmos reset and put everything back to defaults

It was freezing even before the CPU issues but now I’m wondering if I have some type of malfunction in the hardware, though I don’t know what could have caused the CPU to go crazy.

Current specs:
CPU: Intel Core i3 9100f
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 580
MB: Asus Prime B360M-A
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB x2, DDR4-2400
SSD: HP 5700 500GB
HDD: WD 1TB (Original)

Also wanted to mention I don't have a POST screen on boot up. I have the screen that allows me to get into the BIOS and then the ASUS screen but that's it. Unless one of those IS the POST screen and I just haven't looked at it well enough lol.

I tried searching for this everywhere else and I’ve tried damn near everything that was recommended I think. So if anyone might know if there’s something I’m missing or if I should just turn this one into a practice target and build a new one from the ground up (which I’m planning anyway), do be honest lol.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please state the make and model of the PSU and it's age? Also, you spoke of it being a prebuilt, can you list it's brand/SKU and perhaps it's original specs during purchase? Check and see which BIOS version you're on?

HP don't make a 5700 series SSD, they do however, make a an S700 series of SSD's.

Jun 6, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please state the make and model of the PSU and it's age? Also, you spoke of it being a prebuilt, can you list it's brand/SKU and perhaps it's original specs during purchase? Check and see which BIOS version you're on?

HP don't make a 5700 series SSD, they do however, make a an S700 series of SSD's.

Thank you! Yes, it was S700, not 5. I am blind as a bat too apparently. 😊

This is a pic of the PSU info. I’m actually not sure how old it is. It is non modular which I hate so I definitely plan on upgrading this as well.

Here is a link to the original PC.

Current BIOS version is 2806.

Jun 6, 2020
Also, here is a screenshot of what I mean about the clocks.

One more to show the difference.

And as of this morning, the Radeon software is showing GPU Usage spikes but my HWMonitor is not. ???

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020
It froze again once yesterday in game and then while I had it locked and away. I've turned off the sleep feature too because I've heard that it makes some PCs not run quite as well and can freeze. I'm literally trying anything lol.