Clone 128GB M.2PCle to 970 PRO 512GB NVMe PCIe M.2

Nov 12, 2018
Clone 128GB M.2PCIe to 970 PRO 512GB NVMe PCIe M.2
This is an update to the Clone M.2 NVMe 256GB to M.2 NVMe 512GB post.
My Laptop - MSI GE72MVR
I tried using Claude’s (cac2244) method (using Samsung Data Migration tool) on my newer MSI GE72MVR and a newer generation 970 PRO 512GB – NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD Without success.
I did use Claude’s method (Thanks!) of swapping around the SSD’s & HDD’s. I had Success using the procedure below- Do this at your own risk. I’m not responsible for any issues you might have.
Software & Parts needed:
a. Macrium Reflect (Cloning & Backup software) the Free version works fine.
b. A clean SATA (internal) SSD drive - (as big or bigger that the original C: SSD) for temporary use.
c. A new Samsung 970 PRO (512GB - 1 TB+) NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD drive
d. A SATA cable (“wire”).
Procedure:
1. Back up everything. Power down the Laptop, plug in the SATA SSD connected by the “wire”.
2.Power up, connect the power cable - Load & run Macrium Reflect. Using the Cloning feature in Reflect, Clone the original C: SSD (Windows drive) to the “wire” connected SATA SSD.
3. Power the laptop down, disconnect power cord. – remove the back. Remove the original HDD (data) drive in the D: slot and the original C: SSD (windows) drive.
4. Install the SATA SSD drive (that we just prepared) into the D: slot. Install the “clean” (using “diskpart” procedure, see Claud’s original post) New SSD drive (512G+) into the C: (windows) location.
5. Reassemble the Laptop, plug in power cord & Boot the system up (uses the D: SATA SSD) – Now Install the new Samsung M.2 driver (https://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/) go to Computing, Memory Storage Then Solid-State Drives - pick the 970 PRO. - Now Clone (using Reflect) the D: drive (SATA SSD) to the New C: 970 PRO 512GB (+) – NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD.
6. Power down, disconnect the power cord – Remove the case. Remove the SATA SSD Drive in D: then Reinstall the original (D: )HDD (data) back into D:
7. Reassemble the case – plug in the power cord, boot up and you’re done.