[SOLVED] Clone 2TB HDD to 3TB HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2021
Hi

I want to clone my 2 TB HDD to a 3 TB HDD.

Whats the best way to do that, now in 2021?

Is it possible to resize the partition from around 2 TB to 3 TB later on the second disk?

Solution
Get free clone software.
Macrium is very popular.
I use Aeomei.
I know Aomei Pro allows you to expand the partition during cloning.
I'm not sure about Macrium.
...or you can expand it later.
...or you can just make another partition.
Get free clone software.
Macrium is very popular.
I use Aeomei.
I know Aomei Pro allows you to expand the partition during cloning.
I'm not sure about Macrium.
...or you can expand it later.
...or you can just make another partition.

Solution
I want to clone my 2 TB HDD to a 3 TB HDD.
Is it possible to resize the partition from around 2 TB to 3 TB later on the second disk?
  1. you have to set partition style on 3TB drive to GPT. Or else you won't be able to use full capacity of the drive.
  2. copy partition from 2TB drive to 3TB drive (partition to partition clone mode).
  3. extend copied partition to use full capacity of 3TB drive.

Note. If windows is installed on 2TB drive and it has MBR partitioning, then clone result will be unbootable because of partition style conversion.

I guess most disk cloning software does include resizing of partitions to fill up the next disk if bigger. At least I know Clonezilla does, as I used it when I was about to upgrade to a bigger hdd in a laptop. It went very smooth, no issues whatsoever after that.

To make the list of hard drives more clear, visually more understandable.
Well that's a thing OP must figure. Why would 3 partitions be visually more understandable?

And having a dedicated partition for clone/backup task is a good idea, you won't accidentally put other data on that partition as existent data might be deleted during the cloning process.
What backup plan do you have in mind here?

May 5, 2021
Okay, thansk for the replies. I think I will clone the 2TB partition to the 3TB disk with some software. Then I will use a AOMEI guide to convert the partition to EXT4 from NTFS.

When I will have the 2TB partition finished as an EXT4 partition (on the new 3 TB HDD) I guess it will be GPT, or?

I will be using the AOMEI guide so I wonder if I also can use the free AOMEI program to clone the 2TB NTFS partition to the 3TB hdd?

May 5, 2021
What? Why EXT4?

If file system conversion is really, what is needed here (not sure why, though),
then just create empty partition on target drive in desired file system and copy data manually from source to target.
I use Linux-Fedora as my primary OS because I feel that I need to distance myself from Windows-gaming. That is why I think that I need EXT4 and it will work fine with different Linux distros.

When it comes to copying files, do you know if I first can create a GPT EXT4 partition with AOMEI free?

I can't agree with that concept.

It's just a suggestion, there are alternatives of course.

As I mentioned in my post, some cloning software will delete all data to use the entire partition, so it's not a good idea to use the whole 3TB drive as a destination disk for a 2TB source drive. Unless you will not use it for anything else, but in this case, why a 3TB drive and not another identical 2TB drive?

USAFRet

Titan
It's just a suggestion, there are alternatives of course.

As I mentioned in my post, some cloning software will delete all data to use the entire partition, so it's not a good idea to use the whole 3TB drive as a destination disk for a 2TB source drive. Unless you will not use it for anything else, but in this case, why a 3TB drive and not another identical 2TB drive?
If there is data already existing on the target drive, thats a whole different thing.
And why would you do that?

Yes, of course, that needs individual partitions.
And a full backup, because accidents happen.

But yes, most clone tools expect the target drive to be blank.

Mar 19, 2024
I thought this was “solved”, but I don’t see a definite solution.

At present I have a 2 TB HD running windows 7 that is low on disk space, I want to clone to a 3 TB HD so I can upgrade to windows 10 or 11. Straight cloning only resulted with a HD that was still low on disk space and a whole 1 TB of unallocated space that EaseUS could not extend to. Of course now we’re also talking about converting from MBR to GPT. Is this possible? What are the steps? None of the places I’ve looked is breaking this process down into easy to understand and duplicate steps.

Also I’m seeing where I also need to go into the bios and change how the computer boots up to be able to use the new disk should I be able to convert to GPT. Does this need to be done after cloning, or before?

USAFRet

Titan
I thought this was “solved”, but I don’t see a definite solution.

At present I have a 2 TB HD running windows 7 that is low on disk space, I want to clone to a 3 TB HD so I can upgrade to windows 10 or 11. Straight cloning only resulted with a HD that was still low on disk space and a whole 1 TB of unallocated space that EaseUS could not extend to. Of course now we’re also talking about converting from MBR to GPT. Is this possible? What are the steps? None of the places I’ve looked is breaking this process down into easy to understand and duplicate steps.
You need to start a whole new thread for your particular situation.
This one is3 years old.

Likely we can get you to a solution, but not in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.