Clone a fresh install or install from scratch

accessgamer

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Hi All,
Warm Greetings..

I did my recent desktop build.Initially I had 240GB SSD.NOw I see the space is not sufficient and I want to put a 500GB SSD.

So which is the best option.Interms of Drivers and application smoothness performances.

1. Do I need to do a fresh install right from OS
2. Or If I clone the SSD using the 3rd party software and replace it with 500GB SSD will it be fine. ?

Please advise.

Solution
Why clean install?
Because, just from reading in here, I've seen far more instances of a clone/migration go bad rather than a clean install.

A fresh install always works, unless there are other issues.
The cloning usually works. Usually.

USAFRet

Titan
I almost always advocate a clean install on a new drive.
Many have had great success with cloning, but just from reading in here, I also see a lot of times when it went wrong.

Try it. See what happens.

Or, just add a large spinning drive to the mix. Data expands to fill the available space. If you've filled up a 256GB drive, you'll fill up a 500GB.

accessgamer

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

Why clean install...it would take hell of time to Downlaod and reinstall all applications right ?
There are no partitions in my old 240GB SSD.

Also all the SSD's comes with a cloning software and they say - easy to install - just clone and replace right ?

Then why the myth or prophecy of CLEAN INSTALL....

For clean install...If you have licensed software keys , some licenses will not work if you format the HDD or REPLACE the HDD..they will treat your system as new and you need to re install.or call customer support for re-activation ?

What say ....CLONE :)

USAFRet

Titan
Why clean install?
Because, just from reading in here, I've seen far more instances of a clone/migration go bad rather than a clean install.

A fresh install always works, unless there are other issues.
The cloning usually works. Usually.

Solution