Clone a hdd with multiple partitions

tok_stinger

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I have a hdd, 750 gig.. it is partitioned into 3 drives C:, D:, and E: c=50gigs d = 50 gigs and e= 600gigs .
I did that so i cud just just have windows on my c, programs on my d, and games on my e.
But the c is full bc of the ways windows works.. it keeps running outta space.. anyways. i wanna clone move all this over to a lager 1.5 tera drive.. and i wanna increase the partitions.. at least for the C: drive.. but keep in mind all my programs and stuff are on the D:

Basically i wanna just move everything over.. so everything still works( my os and programs) with the os partition being larger (the other drives can be wutever size) Can anyone help/know how? is this even possible?

Hey tok_stinger. This could be done. Take a look at those two articles specifically addressing this issue: http://lifehacker.com/5517688/how-to-upgrade-your-tiny-hard-drive-to-a-spacious-new-one-and-keep-your-data-intact and http://www.pcworld.com/article/2086644/how-to-upgrade-to-a-larger-hard-drive.html
Basically you might have some options of resizing the partitions with the tool you are using or clone the drive and then extend the partition with the unallocated space which is left on the larger HDD by using the options in Disk Management.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

tok_stinger

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Ok, So lookin at this.. gave me an idea. can i just shrink my game drive (e) and just extend my c: drive? my e drive is partitioned to 600 gigs, but 240 is free. so i can just shrink it by half 120 and just add that to my c: drive?

Sure, you can do that as well. If you don't mind shrinking the E: drive and the only reason you wanted the new HDD was to expand the C: drive, then the better option is that you shrink the E: drive, rather than buying a new HDD if you don't need it. Having in mind you have your programs on D:, in my opinion, you might be pushing it a little with those 120GB of extra space just for Windows. I think you'd be fine with a 80-90GB C: drive. For example on my personal laptop which has Windows 7 Ultimate and all the programs on my C: drive - with 70GB I always have 10GB of free space (that depends a lot on the programs that I've installed, but having in mind yours are on a separate partition, you shouldn't have any issues with a 80-90GB C: drive).

Let me know if you have any questions about shrinking and expanding the partitions.

tok_stinger

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
well it let me shrink the e drive.. but it wudnt let me expand the c drive or d.. with the extra space i could only create a new partition .. or just extend the e again... so looks like i need to try to clone to a larger hdd.. (I already have an extra 1.5t hdd)

tok_stinger

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
i used the paragon partition manager.. it work.. it only let me move from adjacent partitions though.. so i already moved space from d to c.. so now im gonna move space from e to d.. and from d to c again.. not sure if this is gonna work yet though.. but imma try it