[SOLVED] Clone failed error 9 and error 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Solution
Hi all. Thanks for the help but Macrium was not the best program to clone for me. I used easeus todo backup. Easeus todo worked flawlessly, it did not give me any errors whatsoever.

I did run chkdsk though after Macrium and prior to Easeus so I wouldn't know if Macrium would of worked the 3rd try. I just did not want to waste writing operations on my SSD that were not needed. Macrium however was the only program I found that you could choose which partition to exclude which was nice. But my workaround was to clone the whole disk since I had no choice, then delete the partition and use MiniTool Partition Wizard to merge non-adjacent partition. I was lucky enough that even though my SSD was smaller than my HDD, my occupying data was...

popatim

Titan
This can take several hours, plan accordingly.

Run CMD as Administrator (right click on CMD then select Run as Admin)
In the CMD window - type in chkdsk X: /r & hit enter
  • replace X: with the actual letter of the drive you want to test
  • if the drive is an SSD then use /f instead of /r

Checkdisk will now check the drive for errors and bad sectors and you will see the progress in the CMD window - unless this is the boot drive.

If this is your boot drive, it will ask if you want to run this on the next restart - select yes and restart the PC when you are ready.
Unless you sit and watch the progress fullscreen, you will need to check the results using Event Viewer.

Here is a guide:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/40822-read-chkdsk-log-event-viewer-windows-10-a.html

Last edited:

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
This can take several hours, plan accordingly.

Run CMD as Administrator (right click on CMD then select Run as Admin)
In the CMD window - type in chkdsk X: /r & hit enter
  • replace X: with the actual letter of the drive you want to test
  • if the drive is an SSD the use
/f instead of /r

Checkdisk will now check the drive for errors and bad sectors and you will see the progress in the CMD window - unless this is the boot drive.

If this is your boot drive, it will ask if you want to run this on the next restart - select yes and restart the PC when you are ready.
Unless you sit and watch the progress fullscreen, you will need to check the results using Event Viewer.

Here is a guide:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/40822-read-chkdsk-log-event-viewer-windows-10-a.html

I will give that a try tomorrow thank you!

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Cloning with a bad source drive is an exercise in futility.
Even if it completes, what data got skipped?

Cloning is great when conditions are perfect. Here, they are clearly NOT perfect.

I did successfully clone my HDD using easeus todo. The only thing is I can't deselect partition so it clones the whole thing. I then tried to delete my data partition and merge it but couldn't because it's not an adjacent partition. I then used aeomi partition assistant to merge non adjacent partitions and it ruined my windows copy on my SDD lol. So I'll clean it up and try again using macrium reflect tomrorow with the suggestion above.

Last edited:

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Hi all. Thanks for the help but Macrium was not the best program to clone for me. I used easeus todo backup. Easeus todo worked flawlessly, it did not give me any errors whatsoever.

I did run chkdsk though after Macrium and prior to Easeus so I wouldn't know if Macrium would of worked the 3rd try. I just did not want to waste writing operations on my SSD that were not needed. Macrium however was the only program I found that you could choose which partition to exclude which was nice. But my workaround was to clone the whole disk since I had no choice, then delete the partition and use MiniTool Partition Wizard to merge non-adjacent partition. I was lucky enough that even though my SSD was smaller than my HDD, my occupying data was substantially less than my SSD.

MiniTool Partition was the only program that was free without limitation on the merging and it literally took me 2 minutes. I tried AEOMIS Partition Assistant trial Pro, but it requires you to go to either Windows PE Environment or PreOS Environment, eitherway AEOMIS completely ruined my windows copy to the point I was unable to recover. I followed their step by step instruction as well.

Again thank you for the help.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.