Clone HDD with bad sectors Using a Cloning Station.

R3v01v3r

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
My hard drive with windows 7 ultimate x64 has bad sectors as I found them with CCleaner Defrag; I have run the usual CMD Chkdsk which didn’t recover the problem.
I am wondering if I clone my Hard Drive in a cloning station will it leave the bad sectors with the dying drive or will the also be written to the new Hard Drive.
I have heaps of programs I use and play a heap of online games so for me to sit here and install the entire Hard Drive plus all these programs would take a lot of time as you guy’s would be aware of being a I.T forum.
I have seen this question asked in the forum about cloning using software but I haven’t seen it asked with Cloning Station or if anyone has had success in cloning this way beforehand.
I don’t feel that it’s is OS data sectors that are corrupt or are damaged as I haven’t seen any blue screen issues nor performance problems, but I can tend to hear the heads of the HDD on the magnetic plate occasionally having trouble reading these sectors as my PC runs very quietly and smooth. Any tips or positive help would be grateful. Personally I think I might just have to slug it out and do a full reinstall on a fresh drive but I really don’t want to consider the time it will take doing it this way.

Solution
You can't bring bad sectors over to the other drive, but what is likely to happen is that you will not be able to clone the drive due to the errors on it. You can try using ddrescue to do the clone, it can take a very long time, but is the best thing you can do on your own to get a drive with issues cloned. By a long time I am talking days.
You can't bring bad sectors over to the other drive, but what is likely to happen is that you will not be able to clone the drive due to the errors on it. You can try using ddrescue to do the clone, it can take a very long time, but is the best thing you can do on your own to get a drive with issues cloned. By a long time I am talking days.

Solution

R3v01v3r

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017

I ended up buying a new drives and just installing windows from the media disk as I also read this exact thing on my docking station manual. I also went out and brought a Volans Drive Cloning Station to clone the new installation on the new drive so I don't have to worry about using useless software's from the net and save me the hassle next time I have to replace the drive.
Thanks for the comment back I guess I was just trying to cut corners with patching the issue then actually fix it with a new Hard Drive and doing the install manually which worked out much better anyways.