[SOLVED] clone/migrate OS

forbi

Prominent
Jul 10, 2020
Hi,
currently, I use SATA SSD on my HP ProBook 440 G4 (it has both SATA and M2 slots) where I have Windows 10 Education (v1909) installed.
I bought a new m.2 SSD and would like to use the OS to this disk and use then the slot where SATA SSD was for HDD as data storage.

Storage specs:
current: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
new: Samsung - PM981a 256GB SSD bulk (MZVLB256HBHQ-00000)

Which would be best choice: migrate or clone?
Which tool would you recommend?

Currently, I use Acronise True Image 2020 for my backups. They also have the option for clonning. But I read that many people had troubles with this tool when clonning, so maybe I should consider something other? I read often about free Macrium Tool and also there is mention about native Samsung tool.

Acronis knowledge base has also this recommendation:
Note: It is recommended that your old and new hard drives work in the same controller mode (for example, IDE or AHCI). Otherwise, your computer might not start from the new hard drive.
How can I check the controller mode?

As I mentioned, I have Windows Education license, thought I'm not student anymore. I wonder why it still works and happy that is still works. Of course, I'd be interested if I'll potentially will have any license issues after clonning?

Regards,

Solution
Currently, I use Acronise True Image 2020 for my backups. They also have the option for clonning. But I read that many people had troubles with this tool when clonning, so maybe I should consider something other? I read often about free Macrium Tool and also there is mention about native Samsung tool.
The problem is that people think that cloning to different drives is a simple thing that should always work while in reality it's a very complicated thing that will fail most of the times.
Only cloning from and to the same drive is a foolproof thing.

Never mind the controller mode, your disks don't even use the same technology...
Hi,
currently, I use SATA SSD on my HP ProBook 440 G4 (it has both SATA and M2 slots) where I have Windows 10 Education (v1909) installed.
I bought a new m.2 SSD and would like to use the OS to this disk and use then the slot where SATA SSD was for HDD as data storage.

Storage specs:
current: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
new: Samsung - PM981a 256GB SSD bulk (MZVLB256HBHQ-00000)

Which tool would you recommend?

As I mentioned, I have Windows Education license, thought I'm not student anymore. I wonder why it still works and happy that is still works. Of course, I'd be interested if I'll potentially will have any license issues after clonning?

Regards,
Migrate an clone are same thing in this case. I like to use Macrium Reflect free for that job and backups afterwards.

The problem is that people think that cloning to different drives is a simple thing that should always work while in reality it's a very complicated thing that will fail most of the times.
Only cloning from and to the same drive is a foolproof thing.

Never mind the controller mode, your disks don't even use the same technology controller,the m.2 drive needs chipset drivers to even show up in windows and cloning your old disk to the m.2 will result in a non booting system 100% guaranteed.
Migrate will try and figure out what's going on in your system and will try to leave you with a booting system,if it manages to do this going from sata to m.2 is a different matter and I don't believe that it will manage.
Also it might keep the boot on the old sata since that's the boot drive currently and removing that to put in a HDD will again result in a non bootable system.

Solution