Question Clone only OS to SSD

jeffrey.fu.103

Commendable
Oct 11, 2017
Hi everyone,
I recently got a 500GB SSD and want to move my current windows instalation to it from my 1TB HDD.
My HDD is about 600GB full, there is random stuff on the HDD that I don't want to move to the SSD as I rarely access them.
I only want to move the windows installation to the SSD (games can be moved easily after).

I've cloned an entire HDD to an SSD before, but have not tried cloning the windows installation only and nothing else.
Any tips, software recomendations, or other methods are greatly appretiated.
Thanks a lot.

Side note: Would it be easier to install windows on the SSD, boot off of the SSD, and then delete the windows installation on the HDD? Or would that result in programs not working properly?

You don't really have the option of moving 'just the OS', whilst leaving your previously installed apps elsewhere in a usable state...

Best to just clean/fresh install the OS and commonly used apps to the new SSD with the HD removed, then get what data you need off the spinning drive, then quick format the old drive for use a secondary storage drive.

Reactions: jeffrey.fu.103

USAFRet

Titan
Hi everyone,
I recently got a 500GB SSD and want to move my current windows instalation to it from my 1TB HDD.
My HDD is about 600GB full, there is random stuff on the HDD that I don't want to move to the SSD as I rarely access them.
I only want to move the windows installation to the SSD (games can be moved easily after).

I've cloned an entire HDD to an SSD before, but have not tried cloning the windows installation only and nothing else.
Any tips, software recomendations, or other methods are greatly appretiated.
Thanks a lot.

Side note: Would it be easier to install windows on the SSD, boot off of the SSD, and then delete the windows installation on the HDD? Or would that result in programs not working properly?
Can't move 'only the OS'.
There is no application or functionality to do that.

TRENDING THREADS