[SOLVED] Clone OS disk(No Boot)

May 26, 2022
Hi all!

I have been trying the last days to migrate my old Win8.1 to a new drive, cloning it was succesful with both Paragon and AOMEI but none of the software is able to make the new clone bootable.
Boot order is changed in Bios

Any ideas how I can clone and make the clone boot with out a lot of hassel?

Solution
Cloning a entire drive should also copy the boot sectors and all. Do you have both drives plugged in when you try and boot from the new drive, because that could cause problems, since both drives think they are 'C' and only one will work.

If that is so, try unplugging the original, and just boot from the newly cloned drive.

Are you using it in the same PC or is it going into a new computer that expects secure boot, and 'gpt' drive instead of 'mbr' etc.??

{GoofyOne's 2c worth .... which may or may not be actually worth 2c}

USAFRet

Titan
Hi all!

I have been trying the last days to migrate my old Win8.1 to a new drive, cloning it was succesful with both Paragon and AOMEI but none of the software is able to make the new clone bootable.
Boot order is changed in Bios

Any ideas how I can clone and make the clone boot with out a lot of hassel?
Need a LOT more info on this.

Full system specs,
old drive, new drive, etc, etc.

If you return the system back to 100% original config, does it work as before?

GoofyOne

Commendable
Apr 4, 2021
Cloning a entire drive should also copy the boot sectors and all. Do you have both drives plugged in when you try and boot from the new drive, because that could cause problems, since both drives think they are 'C' and only one will work.

If that is so, try unplugging the original, and just boot from the newly cloned drive.

Are you using it in the same PC or is it going into a new computer that expects secure boot, and 'gpt' drive instead of 'mbr' etc.??

{GoofyOne's 2c worth .... which may or may not be actually worth 2c}

Solution