Question clone OS from Samsung SSD to Samsung NVME,or fresh install

frozensun

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
So I plan to install 970 Evo Plus to my motherboard and make 2 partitions on it,for OS and second for installing games.
I now have Samsung SSD, 850 Pro and Windows 10 on it.
So I'm dilemma,
should I install fresh OS on Nvme
or I can somehow via Samsung software clone the OS from SSD to Nvme but then probably all the games on my HDD wouldn't work (probably because all those registry keys written on system partition,I mean SSD)
So what is your suggestion guys?

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
installing something is not just putting stuff in "program files". usually includes .dll file links, registry entries, config files, game saves and other stuff that can be in many places. your fresh windows install has now done away with all that extra stuff. all you have is the "program files" folder and not the rest.

its possible that some games are self contained in that one folder and if so they should still work. however, if it needs these other files, then it is won't work anymore. steam is good about transitioning like this and makes it easy, but other services or stand alone games don't make it as easy.

do some checking for the non steam stuff and see if it can be moved like this, otherwise, you're gonna have to reinstall them. just like my first comment with cloning the OS, you can try to make things work but you'll likely spend more time chasing issues, than simply reinstalling would take.

USAFRet

Titan
Cloning from one drive to another results in a 100% copy.
Whatever is currently pointed at 'other drives' will continue to be pointed at those other drives.

With a clean install on the 970, you will have to reinstall all your applications, including the Steam client.
Then, you simply tell the new Steam client where those games live on the other drive.
Thusly:
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

frozensun

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
Hmm...Looks complicated.Besides I googled and I don't see any benefits from nvme compared to ssd,except games would ran few seconds faster.
I guess I will leave it as it is.I don't see any benefit of running windows 10 from nvme.

USAFRet

Titan
Hmm...Looks complicated.Besides I googled and I don't see any benefits from nvme compared to ssd,except games would ran few seconds faster.
I guess I will leave it as it is.I don't see any benefit of running windows 10 from nvme.
While an NVMe drive is "faster", the user facing benefits vs a SATA SSD are small.

HDD->SSD - Huge increase
SATA SSD -> NVMe SSD = Not so much increase

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
so far i see almost no reason to spend the cash on one when you get almost the same performance out of sata ssd's

about the only thing i can imagine for a home user is in a very small build. would save space not having a normal drive in there. otherwise i don't see much use other than to stroke your ego some.