[SOLVED] Clone ssd to nvme problem

Apr 9, 2021
Hello :)

I am having problems upgrading from ssd to nvme. If i connect the nvme through its dedicated bay the computer will not boot. I moved the old ssd to all other sata ports as i read that with some motherboards installing the nvme would turn off sata 3.0. I checked that the booting order was correct. So i am unable to clone the ssd using windows.

I set up a bootable usb with clonezilla in it. I booted up clonezilla and cloned the old ssd to the new nvme, it seemed to work. Then i disconnected the old ssd and the clonezilla usb from the computer and powered it up. I made sure at the bios that no other disk was connected and that the nvme was the first and only choice. The computer would not boot up. Something like "wait while the system is repairing" came up, i forget the exact words.

My system:
Plexhd x79 turbo 1.03 motherboard (i have no manual and i am unable to find one on the web)
Kingston a400 240gb ssd (around 80% of its space its being used)
Xeon e5 2689
16 gb ram
Rx 590
Nzxt 700w psu

The nvme is a crucial p5 500gb

Any ideas why clonezilla didnt work?
Is there any other way to migrate to the nvme?

Thanks!

Solution
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably...
Hello :)

I am having problems upgrading from ssd to nvme. If i connect the nvme through its dedicated bay the computer will not boot. I moved the old ssd to all other sata ports as i read that with some motherboards installing the nvme would turn off sata 3.0. I checked that the booting order was correct. So i am unable to clone the ssd using windows.

I set up a bootable usb with clonezilla in it. I booted up clonezilla and cloned the old ssd to the new nvme, it seemed to work. Then i disconnected the old ssd and the clonezilla usb from the computer and powered it up. I made sure at the bios that no other disk was connected and that the nvme was the first and only choice. The computer would not boot up. Something like "wait while the system is repairing" came up, i forget the exact words.

My system:
Plexhd x79 turbo 1.03 motherboard (i have no manual and i am unable to find one on the web)
Kingston a400 240gb ssd (around 80% of its space its being used)
Xeon e5 2689
16 gb ram
Rx 590
Nzxt 700w psu

The nvme is a crucial p5 500gb

Any ideas why clonezilla didnt work?
Is there any other way to migrate to the nvme?

Thanks!
I do not have your machine.
When I cloned from a sata ssd to a nvme ssd the machine would not boot from the nvme.

I had to go back to the sata ssd and update the bios and drivers.
Then I ran the clone and the nvme would boot.
Which may have nothing to do with your problem.

If you run out of things to try consider cloning to a bigger 2.5 sata ssd.

Reactions: moquetes
Apr 9, 2021
macrium reflect is pretty good and has a free version: never done an NVME clone myself have one but not done a clone but is fairly straight forward and the software explains itself well I would try with this.
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Thank you, right now I am unable to boot my system with the nvme installed, so I cant use macrium or any other. But some other users gave me the idea of installing the driver first...
that way I might be able to use macrium :)

Do you have a link to the specs for this?

That is a pretty old board, and may not boot from an NVMe drive, at all.

It has a dedicated bay for the nvme. Here are the specs, you might need to translate :)

Also, you may need to find and install the NVMe driver for this drive, before the clone operation.

What OS are you working with?

Working with windows 10. That is a great tip thanks. Crucial only gives you a program that i guess will look first into your system to find the proper driver I havent tried it yet but I am afraid the program would only work if the nvme is installed on the board (and i cant put the nvme in the system as it would not boot up). Luckily i found this website where crucial drivers are stored. I havent tried it yet but I guess either the program or the stand-alone driver should work. Will report back.

https://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=23&v_code=64799

I do not have your machine.
When I cloned from a sata ssd to a nvme ssd the machine would not boot from the nvme.

I had to go back to the sata ssd and update the bios and drivers.
Then I ran the clone and the nvme would boot.
Which may have nothing to do with your problem.

If you run out of things to try consider cloning to a bigger 2.5 sata ssd.

Thank you! :)

USAFRet

Titan
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Reactions: moquetes
Solution
Apr 9, 2021
I never got to clone the ssd because the computer will not boot up when I connect the nvme, but I have chosen the best answer because it is the one that will most likely help other users. Thanks to everyone who tried to help!!