Question Clone Win7 OS to install in another PC

Dec 1, 2022
First of all I love my Win7, and never want to upgrade. But my PC's shelf life is near.
I have Win7 Home Edition OEM on my existing PC, and I'd like to know
if I clone it using AMOEIbackupper, can I install that on a new hard drive, on a PC that I can buy
that doesn't have a hard drive, but does have a COA Win7 label on the box?

USAFRet

Titan
First of all I love my Win7, and never want to upgrade. But my PC's shelf life is near.
if I clone it using AMOEIbackupper, can I install that on a new hard drive, on a PC that I can buy
Almost certainly no.

Moving an OS between systems often fails.
Pre Win 10, even more likely to fail.

Your new system gets a fresh OS install.

Reactions: Endre
There is a procedure called restore to dissimilar hardware that scrubs the image from all drivers that could cause issues.
This does not do anything about the licencing though, so you would have to be able to re apply the new license to the restored image, it also does nothing to find drivers for you but if it's COA win7 that shouldn't be a big issue, just make sure to find at least the ethernet drivers before you do this so you are sure you have at least internet to search for anything else you might need.
https://www.ubackup.com/help/how-to-operate-universal-restore.html

SeamuSct

Prominent
Mar 25, 2022
Thanks for all the replys.
I'll do a fresh install.
Yep. I usually just use a clone of a fresh win7 copy if clients request win7. However if installing onto newer hardware - windows 10 or later is always best.
Windows 7 also sucks at getting drivers - for any hardware. (In contrast to win7)

USAFRet

Titan
win7 has natively disabled storage types which arent installed on current PC, its that by default to speed up boot time, that makes win7 transfer to another PC almost impossible as it wont boot, on win10 all types are enabled by default so it will boot

"so it will boot" is very much of a false statement.

Moving a Win 10 install to a different system is STILL subject to fail.
No matter what drives are involved.

Trying to do that, there is NO guarantee of success.
Period.