[SOLVED] Cloned 256GB SSD to 2TB SSD, new SSD freezing/hanging

steveg_nh

Reputable
Mar 23, 2016
I’m trying to figure out if I did something wrong or I possibly have a bad SSD or it’s incompatible. I have a new Dell G5 5090 desktop with a Toshiba 256GB m.2 NVMe SSD on the motherboard. I bought an ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB to take the place of the Toshiba and the secondary 1TB HDD.

I cloned the 256GB drive using MiniTool Partition. No errors reported. I then made sure I aligned the partitions. After putting the ADATA 2TB SSD in place as the boot drive I noticed what I’d call lags or freezes. I’d double click a folder view and it would take 5-8 seconds to appear. Click on an app and it may take 15 seconds. Sometimes less, sometimes more. Sometimes no issues at all. No crashes though and time to boot from off to login screen is 13 seconds. Running read/write check utility and the performance seems corrrect. Ran a benchmark test and it states the SSD is performing below expectations but reports “outstanding” measurements.

The freezes and delays were an obvious issue so I put the Toshiba back in and everything is fine again.

Any tips on how to see what’s going on? Could the cloning process have introduced this? I looked for a firmware update or specific drivers on the ADATA website but couldn’t find anything. Not the best website out there.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Otherwise I’ll be sending this back and just trying Samsung. Thank you.

Solution
I would try to clone again, sometimes it's wonky. As for drivers - the SSD controller does in fact have multiple drivers you can use. It's listed under Storage controllers in Device Manager, not disk drives. In any case - there's the Intel Client NVMe driver, which works with SMI drives like the SX8200 Pro. There's also the SMI driver, available from Multipointe (HP - the EX950 is effectively the same as the SX8200 Pro). I personally use Intel's for the best 4K performance but it won't work miracles.
I would try to clone again, sometimes it's wonky. As for drivers - the SSD controller does in fact have multiple drivers you can use. It's listed under Storage controllers in Device Manager, not disk drives. In any case - there's the Intel Client NVMe driver, which works with SMI drives like the SX8200 Pro. There's also the SMI driver, available from Multipointe (HP - the EX950 is effectively the same as the SX8200 Pro). I personally use Intel's for the best 4K performance but it won't work miracles.

Solution

steveg_nh

Reputable
Mar 23, 2016
Thanks. ADATA doesn't seem to provide any drivers for these SSDs. And their Toolbox utility doesn't even see the drive. I'm starting to regret buying a product of theirs. I may send it back.

I'm not clear on the driver reference above though. Are the Intel NVMe drivers installed on the Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller, or the Intel Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller? Those are all that is listed under my storage controllers. Thank you

steveg_nh

Reputable
Mar 23, 2016
I think I found something. I took a spin through the event logs, and found 3 NTFS corruption errors on this drive. None from the logs when running the Toshiba. So the question is, is it the drive, or the clone process introducing this? From what I can tell, the system is running the scan, and that's the pause I'm seeing, when the corruption is encountered.

-System

-Provider
[ Name] Ntfs
[ Guid] {dd70bc80-ef44-421b-8ac3-cd31da613a4e}

EventID55

Version0

Level2

Task0

Opcode0

Keywords0x8000000000000000

-TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2020-01-27T16:58:06.143215300Z

EventRecordID11506

Correlation

-Execution
[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 32

ChannelSystem

ComputerG5

-Security
[ UserID] S-1-5-18

-EventData

DriveNameOS

DeviceName\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy2

CorruptionState0x0

HeaderFlags0x922

SeverityCritical

OriginFile System Driver

VerbForce Proactive Scan

DescriptionThe exact nature of the corruption is unknown. The file system structures need to be scanned online.

Signature0xe2b3f0fb

OutcomePseudo Verb

SampleLength0

SampleData

SourceFile0x17

SourceLine227

SourceTag137

AdditionalInfo0x10000000

CallStackNtfs+0x1ab6f0, Ntfs+0x13926b, Ntfs+0x1054d9, Ntfs+0x12887, Ntfs+0xbb479, Ntfs+0x1738a4, Ntfs+0x172e92, Ntfs+0x167ad7, Ntfs+0x1306b4, Ntfs+0x219c0, ntoskrnl+0xbd095, ntoskrnl+0x12a7a5, ntoskrnl+0x1c8b2a

If you are having problems of an unknown nature and can return the device, send it back.

Long time ago when I first installed a samsung pcie device, I followed the instructions to also install the samsung pcie driver before running the aid. It is not clear to me if this was absolutely necessary, but, I might assume it was.
Otherwise why would Samsung have a need to supply a different driver?

Is this the Intel driver you are talking about? I did a new clone, and I'm having the same issues. 24 seconds for device manager to appear, for example. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29172/Client-NVMe-Microsoft-Windows-Drivers-for-Intel-SSDs

Yes, that's the driver. It won't work miracles as I said, but worth a shot.

Checking out your system now. Two M.2 sockets, but obviously the longer one (2280) is intended for the NVMe drive. It supports up to x4 PCIe 3.0 at up to 1TB - although I don't think a 2TB drive will cause issues. I don't see any issues there but it's possible something is wrong with the cloning process. You do have to align SSDs but since your original is NVMe it should be fine.