Cloned boot drive wont load windows

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zoskie

Reputable
Dec 5, 2014
Ok. Got a new computer for Christmas. Built it. No Operating System. It's ok. I got a free code to use Acronis True Image to transfer the OS from my moms computer (Windows 7) to the SSD on mine. I use it. I put in my SSD. It seems to work. I take my SSD out of her comp and put it in my computer. It doesn't load windows. Says "windows failed to start a recent software change might be the cause".

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
On this exact computer or another one? Ok yea, wireless drivers might be an issue on some configurations (never experienced it myself though), as for wired ethernet, well that's weird, every network card should work out of the box.

Zoskie

Reputable
Dec 5, 2014

On the other one. :/

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Well try it again on the new one. From my own experience, if you're computer savvy it takes just a day or two to get used to Linux. Also if you ever do the same thing like you did, i.e. just clone the drive and move the copy to another computer, it will work, unlike with a Windows installation.

USAFRet

Titan

This also depends on what the user wants to run. Games + Linux? Not so much.
Yes, you can get some to run in WINE or whatever, but much more problematic.