Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2021
I used Aomei Backupper Standard 6.4 Free version to clone my XPG M.2 PCIE SSD 1TB to my external Seagate Hard drive 7 TB. Once cloning was complete, I noticed an issue with partition 3. The data size of partition 3 for the source is 653.97 GB, whereas the data size of partition 3 for the clone is 649.07 GB.

(This is what the partitions look like, the highlighted parts show the inconsistent partitions: View: https://imgur.com/a/MOx2Kk2
).

Questions:

1.) Has anyone else had this issue using cloning software?
2.) Why did the partition not result in an exact clone?
3.) Is there a way to troubleshoot or fix the problem so that I'm able to clone the entire source drive?

Please let me know if you have any questions or if you would like me to give more info.

Thank you.

Solution
Temp files are irrelevant.Those are created and deleted as time goes on.
That changes even on the same PC and drive from moment to moment. Contents of a temp folder on my PC is not the same as it was 5 minutes ago.

Data in /User/ should be the same, no problem.

But a full clone, especially a full sector by sector, is only as good as when you made it.
A "clone" done yesterday is not the same as your PC is today.

For a real backup solution, a rolling series of Images. Full/Incremental/Differential.

A clone operation is good for switching drives right now.
Images are good for potential future use.

And an Image would be a single file, compromising the entirety of the chosen drive. Allowing you to use the other 6.3TB as you see...
What plan did you had for your cloning process?

I don't know that particular software, but from what I can see from your image it looks like you've attempted to somehow clone the whole ssd into one partition. And that make little sense.

Most of the cloning softwares I've used have the following methods (most basic):
  • Whole storage drive to another (similar size or bigger) storage drive.
  • Whole storage drive to file (disk image file).
  • Partition to partition.
  • Partition to file.
It also looks like you haven't utilized the full potential of the Seagate drive, assuming you'd create a partition stretching the rest of the drive and using that as a storage for image files. That's what I'd do here.

Reactions: PotatoPower159

USAFRet

Titan
I've not used "AOMIE", but the 'missing data' might be the pagefile, hibernation, or similar.
(I use Macrium Reflect)

These things are not 100% sector by sector clones, unless you specify that in the process.

Question - At the end of the process, did you power OFF, disconnect the old drive, and allow the system to boot up from ONLY the new drive?
This is by far the most common missed step.

Reactions: PotatoPower159
Feb 13, 2021
What plan did you had for your cloning process?

I don't know that particular software, but from what I can see from your image it looks like you've attempted to somehow clone the whole ssd into one partition. And that make little sense.

Most of the cloning softwares I've used have the following methods (most basic):
  • Whole storage drive to another (similar size or bigger) storage drive.
  • Whole storage drive to file (disk image file).
  • Partition to partition.
  • Partition to file.
It also looks like you haven't utilized the full potential of the Seagate drive, assuming you'd create a partition stretching the rest of the drive and using that as a storage for image files. That's what I'd do here.

- I did this to make an exact copy of my SSD just in case anything goes wrong with it. I also wanted to keep all my "temp" and "user" files since I use emulators and wanted to keep all of those presets.

- Before cloning Aomei, informed me that any partitions on the 7TB drive would be overwritten. After cloning, I merged the unformatted partition and merged it with the third partition. But that didn't change the size of the third partition.

Just to be clear, you would recommend that I use an image file instead of cloning?

Feb 13, 2021
I've not used "AOMIE", but the 'missing data' might be the pagefile, hibernation, or similar.
(I use Macrium Reflect)

These things are not 100% sector by sector clones, unless you specify that in the process.

Question - At the end of the process, did you power OFF, disconnect the old drive, and allow the system to boot up from ONLY the new drive?
This is by far the most common missed step.

Sorry, I forgot to mention why I did the clone to begin with. I did this to make an exact copy of my SSD just in case anything goes wrong with it. I also wanted to keep all my "temp" and "user" files since I use emulators and wanted to keep all of those presets.

Unfortunately Aomei did not give me a sector by sector option.

To answer your question, I powered off the computer, but did not disconnect the drive and didn't allow the computer to boot up with the new drive.
Why is this important?

I will try again using Macrium reflect, making sure I check the sector by sector option.

USAFRet

Titan
Temp files are irrelevant.Those are created and deleted as time goes on.
That changes even on the same PC and drive from moment to moment. Contents of a temp folder on my PC is not the same as it was 5 minutes ago.

Data in /User/ should be the same, no problem.

But a full clone, especially a full sector by sector, is only as good as when you made it.
A "clone" done yesterday is not the same as your PC is today.

For a real backup solution, a rolling series of Images. Full/Incremental/Differential.

A clone operation is good for switching drives right now.
Images are good for potential future use.

And an Image would be a single file, compromising the entirety of the chosen drive. Allowing you to use the other 6.3TB as you see fit.
Fully recoverable as needed.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.