[SOLVED] Cloned drive showing more used space than before ?

Oct 19, 2021
I cloned my NVME SSD through AOMEI disk cloner version 6.3 my original SSD was 250gb in size, after I cloned it onto another NVME SSD with a size of 500gb in task manager it shows that I have 189gb free space on the cloned drive. I'm sure I should have a minimum of 250gb free space as I doubled my already not full SSD. Anyone have any ideas?

I cloned my NVME SSD through AOMEI disk cloner version 6.3 my original SSD was 250gb in size, after I cloned it onto another NVME SSD with a size of 500gb in task manager it shows that I have 189gb free space on the cloned drive. I'm sure I should have a minimum of 250gb free space as I doubled my already not full SSD. Anyone have any ideas?
If you look at the partitions on the new disk you will probably see a big chunk of unallocated space.

All the clone did is take an image of the source and copied it to the destination.

Kind of like pouring a quart of liquid into a half gallon jug.

USAFRet

Titan
Show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.

ruggb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
If you look at the partitions on the new disk you will probably see a big chunk of unallocated space.

All the clone did is take an image of the source and copied it to the destination.

Kind of like pouring a quart of liquid into a half gallon jug.
Great analogy with the jugs.
Now all that is needed is to create another partition or expand the current partition using Windows Disk Manager. My preference would be another partition and moving all the data folders (Documents, Photos, Videos, etc.) to that partition. It makes it easier and faster to create a system image and back up your files.

USAFRet

Titan
Great analogy with the jugs.
Now all that is needed is to create another partition or expand the current partition using Windows Disk Manager. My preference would be another partition and moving all the data folders (Documents, Photos, Videos, etc.) to that partition. It makes it easier and faster to create a system image and back up your files.
Screencap before you do anything.

USAFRet

Titan
Why are you still running from the original drive?

Have you actually verified the system works with the new drive on its own?

This is a major step that is often missed.
At the end of the clone process, you NEED to:
Power off
Physically disconnect the old drive
Power up with only the new drive

Usually missed, and sometimes critical.

Since the clone, what have you put on the "E drive"?

Oct 19, 2021
I dont usually run both at the same time, I just put it in to show the comparison between drives, and as for what I've put on maybe a school file or so but nothing greater than a gig or so. And the drive does run on its own.

USAFRet

Titan
I dont usually run both at the same time, I just put it in to show the comparison between drives, and as for what I've put on maybe a school file or so but nothing greater than a gig or so. And the drive does run on its own.
Well, there's a 90GB discrepancy.

The only time size comparison is valid is right after the clone.
After that.....Restore points, hibernation, temp files, anything you put on it, etc, etc.

I would suspect Restore points.

Oct 19, 2021
I've just looked at the file size of each of the main folders and they are basically the same size, with the new drive having 1gig more than the original, which makes sense. It seems you are right in the missing storage being elsewhere. Where would I look to find the restore points?

Run a pass of disk cleanup on the new ssd see what it will toss out.
Don't forget to click the system files button.

Your choice as to which boxes to tick I just tick them all.