cloned hard drive wont boot

James Chapman

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
I am going to be as specific as possible. I recently purchased a dell precision m90 with vista business sp2 32 bit preinstalled. I cloned my internal hard drive (100 gb) using drivexml to a larger one (320 gb) so I could use the larger hdd as my new internal because I am running out of space. I created 2 partitions, both ntfs format on the 320 gb hdd. One for recovery and one for windows. I cloned the recovery partition on the 100 gb hdd to a 5.86 gb partition on the 320 gb hdd, and then cloned the windows partiton(C:) to a 280 gb partition labled windows on the new 320 gb hdd. The clone took about 3 hours and there were no errors. I did this using a sata/ide to usb hdd enclosure. I then safely removed the 320 gb hdd, powered of the dell, and swapped the internal hdd(100 gb) with the newly cloned 320 gb hdd. When I powered the dell on I went into bios with f2 and ensured that the internal hdd was set to boot first. After saving and exiting, the newly cloned hard drive would not boot. All I would get is a black screen with a small blinking dash in the left top corner of the screen. After powering off again and switching back the hard drives, I turned the dell on again and booted to windows. I then went into computer,manage,disk management, storage after hooking the 320 gb back up to my enclosure. What I noticed was that the recovery partition on my initial 100gb was active, and windows(C:) was not. Also on the active recovery partition it said EISA configuration. My question is do I have to set the recovery partition on my new cloned 320 gb hd as active in order to boot into windows when I use it as my internal hdd? I was told on other forums that by using the method of cloning I do not have to reinstall windows. I also have another 160 gb hard drive with a complete pc backup on it. How do I get my new 320 gb hard drove to work?I never knew upgrading a laptop hdd could be so difficult but I do not have a windows vista install disk nor the means to aquire one. Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this lengthy post, and who can offer help.

Your larger drive isn't booting in to Windows because, as you guessed, the wrong partition is set as "Active".

You need to change them around so that the Recovery partition is "Active", and the Windows partition is "Inactive"
(same as the original drive).

If Windows Disk Management won't let you do that, boot your Dell from this bootable CD:
http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

Download the CD Image from the above page and create a CD from it using the free IMGBurn software:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_imgburn

TRENDING THREADS