[SOLVED] cloned HDD contents onto new M.2 SSD and can't boot windows from it

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015
So i just installed a new WD SN750 SSD and cloned everything from my main HDD to it, and I wan't it to boot from the SSD and get rid of the HDD. problem is, how do i make the SSD my main drive? I can't seem to be able to switch it to boot priority in the BIOS. If i go to Boot options, it will show both drive units, but i can only really boot from the original drive.

I tried unplugging the HDD but it still wouldn't boot to anything but a black screen,
Ideas?

Solution
Going from SATA to NVMe can be problematic.
But, the main thing you need to have done is to remove/disconnect the old drive before trying to boot up from the new drive.

Try the clone again, like this:
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is...

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
So i just installed a new WD SN750 SSD and cloned everything from my main HDD to it, and I wan't it to boot from the SSD and get rid of the HDD. problem is, how do i make the SSD my main drive? I can't seem to be able to switch it to boot priority in the BIOS. If i go to Boot options, it will show both drive units, but i can only really boot from the original drive.

I tried unplugging the HDD but it still wouldn't boot to anything but a black screen,
Ideas?

Always after a successful cloning, you should disconnect your previous drive (HDD in this case) and swap your new drive (SSD) in its place. Majority of the times it will recognize it immediately. You can go to bios and verify it should be listed as mostly likely "Windows Boot Manager (SSD name and size)".

Then if everything works, you connect your HDD somewhere else, make sure the boot priority doesn't have it as #1. You boot it, and format your old drive.

Also, post a picture of your bios boot priority.

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015
Always after a successful cloning, you should disconnect your previous drive (HDD in this case) and swap your new drive (SSD) in its place. Majority of the times it will recognize it immediately. You can go to bios and verify it should be listed as mostly likely "Windows Boot Manager (SSD name and size)".

Then if everything works, you connect your HDD somewhere else, make sure the boot priority doesn't have it as #1. You boot it, and format your old drive.

Also, post a picture of your bios boot priority.
the SSD is M.2 though so its stuck to the motherboard.

I also just tried this over again and the PC gave a message upon startup stating Windows files can't be found. Looking online a bit it says that if I set the new ssd as GUID instead of MBR this could cause conlfictions but I'm not exactly where to go from there,.

USAFRet

Titan
But, the main thing you need to have done is to remove/disconnect the old drive before trying to boot up from the new drive.

Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Power up
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

Power off
Power up
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

That sounds near identical to how I Did it in the first place, except upon first boot I didn't disconnect the C drive so it probably booted from there.
Could that have screwed up the process?
Should i redo everything the do the first boot up with just the SSD as mentioned? (i'm asking before i wait another 1.5 hours for it to do its thing ahahha)