Cloned HDD to SSD and I cant seem to make it my primary boot.

RouterHelpPlease

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016
So, today I picked up a long overdue SSD (Sandisk 240gb SSD Plus) and installed it into my computer. I set it up in disk management and can see it alongside my HDD (3tb). I used the program sandisk recommended on their website to clone my files and had a successful complete clone. When I try to boot with my SSD (only available in legacy boot, (only way I was able to see which drive was which, other boot mode simply gave me general options like CD Drive, Hard Disk, etc). When I boot in legacy mode, I get Disk Error, then reboot and select proper booting device. I am at a loss for what I can do to fix this, and I was excited to finally get rid of these long bootups.

Edit: Desktop

RouterHelpPlease

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016

I am now receiving the error: internal hard disk drive not found to resolve this issue, try to reseat the drive. It is recognizing the drive in legacy boot mode, but legacy mode gives me the same disk error.

Re: your 3 TB HDD...we'll assume this drive boots & functions without problems when it's connected as your boot drive, right?

By any chance has it been GPT-partitioned?

How were you able to clone the contents of the 3 TB disk to the 240 GB disk? Your SSD's disk-space capacity was sufficient to contain the TOTAL data contents of the larger disk? Or were you able to just clone the OS from the source disk?

When your SSD is installed as a secondary drive in your system have you determined the cloned SSD has also been partitioned with the GPT scheme?

You mentioned that when you access the boot menu upon bootup with the SSD connected as the (hopefully) boot drive, the boot menu lists the boot devices as "general options like CD Drive, Hard Disk, etc.". What's the "etc."? And SPECIFICALLY, how is the SSD identified?

What's your make/model of your motherboard?

RouterHelpPlease

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016

I keep my HDD clean, so as of right now its about 180gb of files on it, not much at all (cleaned up a lot for this clone). I cloned it through the recommended cloner (http://www.apricorn.com/products/software/sandisk).

https://gyazo.com/fd8812f41b4d6270ffce11b26093486c

Disk 0 = 3tb HDD (Primary boot atm because I want to use my computer)
Disk 1 = 240gb SSD
Disk 2 = small flash drive

From what I believe its GPT (https://gyazo.com/26497a7af8562b19c0cfd8bd40e08c5a)

The etc. being: USB Key, CD/DVD, Hard Disk, Network, USB Hard Disk, USB CD/DVD, (none of these give me an actual name of a drive unless I use legacy mode)

The SSD is identified with the name of my ssd then a bunch of numbers behind it, I can get that exactly later, but not atm if its truly needed.

Motherboard: Alienware OFPV4P (im well aware of your response to alienware, I had to purchase through dell because of a financial situation, im also well aware it was a bad idea.)

RouterHelpPlease

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016

Sadly, no. I get the "disk error" then "please insert a proper boot device and restart" error message

If you haven't done so already could you disconnect the HDD from its SATA data port and connect the SSD to that port? And use the same SATA data cable that the HDD was connected to.

Also, although it doesn't appear that's the case, it may be conceivable that the disk-cloning operation went awry even though it didn't appear anything untoward happened. Could you re:clone?