Cloned HDD to SSD, wont boot from BIOS

DanTheMan20017

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017
Hi, all.

Recently, i have bought an SSD and installed it into my computer. I then deleted all non-important programs and games from my current HDD drive and cloned the HDD onto the SSD. I then booted up into the BIOS menu and when i went into boot options and clicked on the SSD, it goes black and continues with the start-up without warning. I then tried it again and the same happened. After that, i looked up ways to boot from SSD without BIOS and saw that you could go into System Configuration and set the SSD as a default boot option, but my SSD does not appear on it. Can anyone help me figure out what to do and how to start using my SSD with the OS on it?

Thanks in advance

Motherboard: ASUS H81M-PLUS (havent updated the BIOS ever)

Edit: Forgot to mention i have backed-up my HDD drive before all of this

USAFRet

Titan
If possible, redo the clone.

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall
-----------------------------

DanTheMan20017

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017

i have done these steps up to the cloning process. Once i got to the part where you copy over the partitions, it says there is not enough space but i have deleted enough so that it can fit onto the SSD, but it still says that it hasnt got enough space

The partitions that havent copied over are '4 - (None) NTFS Primary' and '5 - Recovery (None) NTFS Primary'

DanTheMan20017

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017

yes i have tried that, but when i do it says there is insufficient space even though there is more than enough space deleted from the HDD

Domina

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
I've used Macrium to clone larger HDDs to smaller SSDs 5 times and have run into the "insufficient space" error every time. The solution is frustratingly difficult to find on Youtube - most guys just skip happily through the cloning process in the videos with no problems at all.

The error is so common (every time for me) it should be at the top of every how to for Macrium.

The problem is displayed @ 2:20 in the video below and the fix is @ 2:40. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlZm5w99pGM