[SOLVED] Cloned Main SSD to New Unallocated SSD and Have Unwanted Volumes/Issues

docizabiza

Reputable
Jan 15, 2020
I just cloned my main Win 10 SSD (C:) to a new unallocoated 1TB SSD(B:) using EaseUS. After the cloning/transfer, I had the original (C:) and the new 1TB SSD(B:) with all Win10 and programs perfectly duplicated onto (B:). I shut my PC off and went into BIOS to change Boot Configuration. Boot1: 1TB SSD (B:) and Boot2: UEFI Hard drive(C:) is all I changed and started back into Windows 10 to this screen in Disk Manager/File Explorer:
View: https://imgur.com/a/FuLVddL

Disk 2 is the 1TB SSD that was (B:) until I restarted. (G:) came out of nowhere and this is what we have now. It seems Disk (C:) merged with the new 1TB SSD on Disk2, and then (G:)/(F:) were created and prioritized as Disk0? Disk0 used to be (C:), and now that's part of Disk2. This was not intentional.

In File Explorer it looks like (C:) is still prioritized with Win10 operating if I'm not mistaken, but I am confused by this all.

Disk1 (E:) can be ignored as it is just an HDD for Audio/Video

I would greatly appreciate any help getting my new 1TB SSD to be prioritized with no extra Volumes. Thank you kindly!

Solution
No, you're not merging the 473MB partition into C, you need to move the 473MB partition to before C.

You're moving, not merging.

Once it's moved and the drive looks like | Reserved | Recovery | C | Unallocated, you're expanding C to encompass the unallocated space.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Remove all drives OTHER than the new 1TB SSD you want to use - does everything boot successfully? If so, what does Disk Management look like then?

On Disk #2 - you just need to reorganize partitions and extend to claim back the "unallocated" space - that happens when you clone a smaller drive to a larger drive. There was nothing there >120GB (approx), so it becomes unallocated space.

As far as the G drive, that's the old "C" drive, on a ~120GB SSD.

docizabiza

Reputable
Jan 15, 2020
Remove all drives OTHER than the new 1TB SSD you want to use - does everything boot successfully? If so, what does Disk Management look like then?

On Disk #2 - you just need to reorganize partitions and extend to claim back the "unallocated" space - that happens when you clone a smaller drive to a larger drive. There was nothing there >120GB (approx), so it becomes unallocated space.

As far as the G drive, that's the old "C" drive, on a ~120GB SSD.

Hey thanks for your response. I unplugged the original 120 gb SSD (C:) drive and here's what it looks like now:
View: https://imgur.com/a/bukAp0Q

Any advice on the unallocated space? I appreciate your help!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Ok, I meant to remove the HDD too - but it doesn't really matter.

Basically, you need to move your 473MB 'recovery' partition" to before the C parition.
Then, once "unallocated" is next to the C partition, you would just right click C and select "extend"

As far as moving the partitions around, it's not natively supported in Windows and will require third party software to do so. I believe EaseUS has it already...

EDIT. It does, EaseUS Partition Manager:
https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/move-partition-windows-10.html

docizabiza

Reputable
Jan 15, 2020
Ok, I meant to remove the HDD too - but it doesn't really matter.

Basically, you need to move your 473MB 'recovery' partition" to before the C parition.
Then, once "unallocated" is next to the C partition, you would just right click C and select "extend"

As far as moving the partitions around, it's not natively supported in Windows and will require third party software to do so. I believe EaseUS has it already...

EDIT. It does, EaseUS Partition Manager:
https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/move-partition-windows-10.html
Thanks for this! It looks like I'm almost there but EaseUS Partition Manager is only free until you'd like to merge/move partitions :(

I have downloaded MiniToolPartitionWizard alternatively, but when I try to move/merge the 473MB recovery partition to/with (C:), I get a notification that "The expanding partition doesn't have enough free space". I tried merging (C:) into 473MB and that did not work. It seems like the easiest option is to delete the 473MB but I have no idea if it is crucial to keep. Thoughts? Thanks again!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
No, you're not merging the 473MB partition into C, you need to move the 473MB partition to before C.

Once it's moved and the drive looks like | Reserved | Recovery | C | Unallocated, you're expanding C to encompass the unallocated space.

Solution

docizabiza

Reputable
Jan 15, 2020

Oh I see thank you for clarifying. I just did this and now it's one drive! Thanks so much for your help :)

Reactions: Barty1884