[SOLVED] Cloned my hdd to ssd and now cant boot unless I use windows boot manager

anton1sandstrom

Reputable
Apr 22, 2018
I used Macruim Reflect to clone my hdd to my ssd so I could use the ssd as my windows boot drive. I’ve changed the order in my bios so that the ssd is the first drive to load and the hdd second.
After I changed the boot order and restarted the pc some text appeared and told me ”Reboot and select proper boot device”.

I rebooted, pressed all my F(1-12) keys at the same time and a box shows up asking me to choose boot device. After choosing my ssd again the same thing happens so I restart again. The weird thing is that if I choose the ’Windows boot manager (samsung ssd 97)’ option I get to a blue screen telling me to choose my operating system. after choosing windows 10 I boot into it with no problem and my ssd is now labelled as my C: drive and my hdd as my D: drive (before it was the other way around).
The same issue happens if I disconnect my hdd and only have my ssd connected

Anyone know how I could solve this?

Solution
When you cloned the SSD from the HDD, the boot sector was still on the HDD. If removing the HDD results in no boot, but leaving the HDD connected all boots normal, it's possible that the boot sector never got cloned. The PC still needs the boot sector that remains on the HDD.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
When you cloned the SSD from the HDD, the boot sector was still on the HDD. If removing the HDD results in no boot, but leaving the HDD connected all boots normal, it's possible that the boot sector never got cloned. The PC still needs the boot sector that remains on the HDD.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I used Macruim Reflect to clone my hdd to my ssd so I could use the ssd as my windows boot drive. I’ve changed the order in my bios so that the ssd is the first drive to load and the hdd second.
After I changed the boot order and restarted the pc some text appeared and told me ”Reboot and select proper boot device”.

I rebooted, pressed all my F(1-12) keys at the same time and a box shows up asking me to choose boot device. After choosing my ssd again the same thing happens so I restart again. The weird thing is that if I choose the ’Windows boot manager (samsung ssd 97)’ option I get to a blue screen telling me to choose my operating system. after choosing windows 10 I boot into it with no problem and my ssd is now labelled as my C: drive and my hdd as my D: drive (before it was the other way around).
The same issue happens if I disconnect my hdd and only have my ssd connected

Anyone know how I could solve this?
Power OFF
Physically disconnect the old drive.
Power UP.

What happens?

That is actually the first thing that needs to be done at the end of a clone operation.

Can you post a screencap of your Disk Management window?