Question Cloned my Windows 10 boot drive to my new SSD, it is GPT format but will not boot

dhmolson

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2016
I spent hours trimming the fat on my windows boot drive so that I could clone it to my new SSD (only 250gb) and I have cloned it. Since my Windows boot drive ( C: drive ), is MBR format, I set up the SSD as a MBR format drive, then cloned the C: drive to it (for the cloning process I used EaseUS Todo Backup Free 11.5, and I did click the 'Optimize for SSD" checkbox during this process), then converted it back into GPT format once the cloning process was complete so that Windows 10 can boot from it (I used "gptgen-1.1" and windows command prompt to do this conversion) . I have changed the boot priorities in my UEFI, but Windows keeps booting from my C: drive instead of the SSD. Help? I have verified through disk manager that the drives are all the correct format, and have done the process twice with no results.

EDIT:
Also, here are my specs in case anyone might need them:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 CPU (Overclocked)
16gb RAM
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 4gb VRAM
64-bit Windows 10

I have added a screenshot of disk manager to the post to show my various drives:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zxrPEkzKcpwQh8jaLfHYwx6Y3RicijBJ/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

dhmolson

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2016
I think I just realized my problem. I was cloning JUST the C: partition of the drive, and not the entire hard drive. Retrying the cloning process now. Hope I didn't bother anyone.

TRENDING THREADS