[SOLVED] Cloned NVME M.2 Drive Not Showing Up In Boot Order? What Gives??

Luke2468

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Hi there, I just bought a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVME M.2 drive and I cloned my old 1TB WD Blue SSD to the NVME drive. Now I unplugged my old SSD to make sure I could boot from the NVME drive and it worked fine. However upon plugging in my old SSD to format it and use it for more storage my NVME drive disappears from the boot order. My motherboard ( an asus Z390-E Gaming ) still detects the drive but does not allow me to select anything for my boot order other than the old drive while both are plugged in. So what gives? Is there no way to boot both the old and the new together? Thanks for any tips and advice

Solution
Why that is happening, I can't say w/o more investigation. But...
Try leaving the SATA data cable unplugged on the old drive until you are booted to the desktop with the new drive. Then plug the SATA cable back in (carefully) and see if the old drive is registered in Disk Management*. If it is, delete all partitions and reformat it.

* Your system should be hot plug capable.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Why that is happening, I can't say w/o more investigation. But...
Try leaving the SATA data cable unplugged on the old drive until you are booted to the desktop with the new drive. Then plug the SATA cable back in (carefully) and see if the old drive is registered in Disk Management*. If it is, delete all partitions and reformat it.

* Your system should be hot plug capable.

Solution
Hi there, I just bought a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVME M.2 drive and I cloned my old 1TB WD Blue SSD to the NVME drive. Now I unplugged my old SSD to make sure I could boot from the NVME drive and it worked fine. However upon plugging in my old SSD to format it and use it for more storage my NVME drive disappears from the boot order. My motherboard ( an asus Z390-E Gaming ) still detects the drive but does not allow me to select anything for my boot order other than the old drive while both are plugged in. So what gives? Is there no way to boot both the old and the new together? Thanks for any tips and advice
Plugging in M'2 drive disables one or 2 SATA ports. Try other SATA ports.

TRENDING THREADS