Question Cloned NvMe Windows 10 BSOD "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

Nov 20, 2020
Hello my friends,
I've spent the last 7 days trying to clone my SATA SSD to my new NvMe SSD in the hours after work.
So my problem is:
My cloned NvMe won't boot, it throws BSOD "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE".
A fresh install works, but I really need it to be cloned for various reasons.

Now, the real thing is, I've tried a lot of possibilities and fixes all over the place.
Things I tried:

OK, so my specs are:
Currently working: SATA SSD Sandisk A400 240GB
New NvMe I'm trying to boot into: WD WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0

I have reasons to suspect the problem is in my SATA SSD's system BCD, but I don't have a lot of knowledge in this area obviously. As far as I can tell,
my BCD is a mess, but it works in the old SSD.
I'll be forever in debt ofthe good souls that will(if possible) make this work.
I really need this clone.
I'd rather sell the new NvMe SSD than do a clean windows 10 install.
I have my reasons, but I won't let go of my current install.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020
When trying to boot after the clone, is this new drive the only one in the system?
Yes it is.
At a couple of cloning tries I got BSOD 0xc00000e but in the majority of the tries it's "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE".
One of the reasons for me to believe it's a BCD problem, is the fact that the currently working SATA SSD has 2 windows boot manager entries, one of them throws BSOD the other one works.

In the new NvMe both throw inaccessible boot device error

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Yes it is.
At a couple of cloning tries I got BSOD 0xc00000e but in the majority of the tries it's "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE".
One of the reasons for me to believe it's a BCD problem, is the fact that the currently working SATA SSD has 2 windows boot manager entries, one of them throws BSOD the other one works.

In the new NvMe both throw inaccessible boot device error
Cloning a config that doesn't work quite right just results in a clone that doesn't work quite right.

You need to fix the source first.

Nov 20, 2020
Cloning a config that doesn't work quite right just results in a clone that doesn't work quite right.

You need to fix the source first.
Well, the source is booting up right, I'm currently using it right now.
But you're right, I probably need to fix it's BCD, but I'm not quite sure how to.
Tried a couple fixes but none made a difference

PS: I used AOMEI Boot repair tool in source before cloning

Last edited:

Mr.Spock

Respectable
Dec 8, 2019
Try imaging the SATA SSD to an external hard drive using Acronis, create a portable recovery USB.
install the NVMe and remove the original SATA, boot off the USB - restore from the external.

Since your SSD is a WD you can use their OEM Acronis to do this (dl from their site)

Well, the source is booting up right, I'm currently using it right now.
But you're right, I probably need to fix it's BCD, but I'm not quite sure how to.
Tried a couple fixes but none made a difference

PS: I used AOMEI Boot repair tool in source before cloning

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS