[SOLVED] Cloned original ssd to larger ssd, boots fine but...

Mar 4, 2020
Ok, so here's the deal. I had a 500 GB ssd that is original to my computer, I installed a larger 1 TB ssd in the extra slot in my laptop and cloned the original over to it and then changed the boot order in the bios to the larger ssd. It boots fine and changed the new drive to C.
However, when I go to format the original to use as storage it says: "This drive is in use. Another program or process is using this drive. Do you want to format it anyway?"

Uhmm, what? Is the cloned drive not supposed to be the only used drive for system processes and what not since it is now the main C drive??? How do I fix this?

Solution
Ok, so here's the deal. I had a 500 GB ssd that is original to my computer, I installed a larger 1 TB ssd in the extra slot in my laptop and cloned the original over to it and then changed the boot order in the bios to the larger ssd. It boots fine and changed the new drive to C.
However, when I go to format the original to use as storage it says: "This drive is in use. Another program or process is using this drive. Do you want to format it anyway?"

Uhmm, what? Is the cloned drive not supposed to be the only used drive for system processes and what not since it is now the main C drive??? How do I fix this?
At the end of the cloning process, it is imperative that you power off, physically disconnect the old drive, and allow the...

USAFRet

Titan

At the end of the cloning process, it is imperative that you power off, physically disconnect the old drive, and allow the system to boot up from only the new drive.

Solution