[SOLVED] Cloned Samsung 980pro gives Boot Failure message

Oct 19, 2021
Hi All,

I have cloned my SK hynix SC311 SATA M.2 boot drive to a Samsung 980pro M.2 Now the computer (Dell All-in-One) shows a "Boot Failure on Device" message at Start-Up.

Details of Computer
I can see the Samsung 980pro is present in the main tab of the Bios screen
Bios updated before clone
CPU i3-8100T
Boot Mode is set to UEFI
Secure Boot is ON
I tried changing the SATA operation from RAID to AHCI (This did not help)
Boot Options are
1.On Board NIC (IPV4)
  1. On Board NIC (IPV6)
  2. Windows Boot Manager
(I tried moving Windows Boot th #1, which did not help)

I did remove the old boot drive. I actually put the new (Cloned) Samsung 980pro in the slot the old M.2 was removed from.

If I replace the original SK hynix SC311 M.2, the computer boots perfectly. (I needed to change the SATA operation back to RAID for it to work).

I have tried wiping the Samsung 980 and cloning again with the the same results. (Cloned using Macrium)

Any Suggestions.
Thanks Derek

USAFRet

Titan
Hi USAFRet,

Thank you for your response, I appreciate it.

I did not check to port is capable of an NVMe drive. How would I do that?

Regards
Derek
Look up the specs for this system.

Seeing as the original drive was a small SATA III drive, unlikely it is NVMe capable, and almost certainly not PCIe 4.0 capable. Which is needed to see the real performance of the 980 Pro.

Hi All,

I have cloned my SK hynix SC311 SATA M.2 boot drive to a Samsung 980pro M.2 Now the computer (Dell All-in-One) shows a "Boot Failure on Device" message at Start-Up.

Details of Computer
I can see the Samsung 980pro is present in the main tab of the Bios screen
Bios updated before clone
CPU i3-8100T
Boot Mode is set to UEFI
Secure Boot is ON
I tried changing the SATA operation from RAID to AHCI (This did not help)
Boot Options are
1.On Board NIC (IPV4)
  1. On Board NIC (IPV6)
  2. Windows Boot Manager
(I tried moving Windows Boot th #1, which did not help)

I did remove the old boot drive. I actually put the new (Cloned) Samsung 980pro in the slot the old M.2 was removed from.

If I replace the original SK hynix SC311 M.2, the computer boots perfectly. (I needed to change the SATA operation back to RAID for it to work).

I have tried wiping the Samsung 980 and cloning again with the the same results. (Cloned using Macrium)

Any Suggestions.
Thanks Derek
Tell the model number of this aio.

Solution
Oct 19, 2021
When updating a previous computer I read something about needing to make a change to the settings (I think BIOS) in order to install a NVMe M.2.

Could this be something I've missed?

Oct 19, 2021
Hi All,

Thanks for the help. With the certainty of MVMe compatibility, I tried re-cloning the drive (third time), with slightly different partitions. IT WORKED. I am not sure exactly what the issue was, but it is now resolved.

Again thanks for all the replies.

Regards

Derek