Cloned Samsung SSD 840 EVO however cannot change Boot settings

wd56

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014
Hi

I recently purchase a Samsung SSD and cloned the hard drive using a software from Ease US. I could not use the Samsung migration software as it kept saying my original hardrive had bad sectors. I ran every possible test on the original hardrive and could not find any bad sectors.

The cloning with a third party software was successful. However I cannot get the computer to boot from the SSD.

I have an HP bios, I can find the the SSD under the storage options but when I go to select boot order I cannot locate any of my HDD. The only options are Windows Boot Manager, CD, Floppy, USB Hardrive.

I tried to disconnect the old hardrive and boot only from the SSD but the computer says it cannot detect any hardrive. If I use the original HDD and the SSD does show up in "This PC" with all the data.

My computer has Windows 8 as the OS

Thanks in advance!

Solution
I just performed the same operation with a brand new HP laptop. At first I tried Easeus free todo back up and I encountered the same issue as you. Apparently HP has these hidden partitions on the HDD which it uses for booting. I had to use the paid version of EASEUS todo back up because it gives you the option to do a disk clone as well as partition clone. When I chose the disk clone it picks up these hidden partitions and you will be able to boot up just fine.

There is probably some free software out there that will do it but I find Easeus to be the most user friendly.
I just performed the same operation with a brand new HP laptop. At first I tried Easeus free todo back up and I encountered the same issue as you. Apparently HP has these hidden partitions on the HDD which it uses for booting. I had to use the paid version of EASEUS todo back up because it gives you the option to do a disk clone as well as partition clone. When I chose the disk clone it picks up these hidden partitions and you will be able to boot up just fine.

There is probably some free software out there that will do it but I find Easeus to be the most user friendly.

Solution

wd56

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014

Thanks for your reply, I will let you know how it goes when I get home in the evening.