Cloned SSD boots on my desktop but laptop bios can't see it

Domina

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Used Macrium to clone HDD in new Win 10 Acer E15 laptop to a Crucial BX100. The BIOS on the laptop does not detect the drive, and allowing it to try to boot results in a "no bootable drive" error.

When troubleshooting, I connected the SSD to my desktop and it boots Win 10 just fine.

Laptop and desktop are both in AHCI SATA mode.

Tried changing the boot mode on the laptop from UEFI to Legacy and has no effect.

How is a desktop able to boot and run an SSD that a new laptop can't even see? Suggestions welcome.

Domina

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009

Good question. Booted up on the stock HDD, I used Macrium and a USB to SATA cable to clone to the SSD. When booted up in Win 10 on the stock drive, disk management had no problem seeing and partitioning the SSD.

Now as a cloned drive, and the only drive connected to the laptop, it's BIOS can't see the SSD.

Domina

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009

Definitely plugged in properly, and the SSD boots/runs fine on other machine. Laptop just can't see it.

Sep 2, 2018
Hi Domina,

I'm having the same problem, did you ever sort it out?
My cloned ADATA m.2 SSD PCIex4 isn't showing up in uefi/bios. I can do as I would with it once in windows though, when my original HDD is booting. The goal of course is to get OS off of the SSD for better speeds and smoothness.

Let me know,

Dave