Cloned ssd but ssd not showing all avialable memory

V1ra1

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
As the title says i cloned my original ssd to a larger ssd that i just bought, but now it's not using a large portion of space.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Open disk management, right-click the drive in question and the unused space and select "extend partition" or similar, depending on your OS it might be worded slightly different.

What happens when you clone (for example) a 120GB to a 250GB SSD, it clones the partition exactly as it was - so it's still a viewed as 120GB 'drive' but, in actuality, it's now a 120GB partition on a 250GB drive.

Alternatively, you can create a secondary partition with the remaining space...... but that kind of defeats the purpose of moving to a larger drive in the first place.

V1ra1

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014

I've tried that it wont allow me too, there is a recovery partition between the part i want to expand and the unsued space

V...
1. Would you promise me that from this time on you swear the following?...
"I will, to the best of my ability, undertake a comprehensive backup of my system from time-to-time so that I will have a reasonably up-to-date backup of my system that I can use should my system ever become dysfunctional for any reason. I will create these backups by cloning the contents of my system drive to another drive that's internally or externally connected to my system."

2. If you so solemnly swear, then I grant you permission to delete the Recovery partition (in Disk Management or via the Diskpart utility) and create Unallocated disk-space in its place. You can then extend your C: partition (I'm assuming that's the partition you desire to extend) to encompass all the Unallocated disk-space following the C: partition.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Unfortunately, Windows doesn't natively support doing it. Third party tools like "Partition Wizard" and many others will allow you to move the recovery partition to the end of the drive and also extend the main partition to fill the drive while you're at it. .