Cloned SSD cannot extend to full capacity

casebier.ken

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017
Hello all,
I cloned a smaller SSD (with OS) to a larger one via EaseUS. After cloning one to the other,
shutting down, removing old SSD and replaced it with new SSD into the same slot (showing two partitions: system reserved & C). I rebooted and it appeared to have allocated remaining space to reflect the size of the new SSD as 500GB.

Today the new SSD appears full and I cannot extend C: partition so that the full capacity is available. I've tried going into Disk Management and downloading the free EaseUS Partition Manager, but nothing seems to fix the issue. Help!

Solution

I have grown to really like that little program :)
It would really help if you would provide a screenshot of Disk Management.
If you can't do that, just describe EACH partition on DM of the 500 GB boot drive on a one-by-one basis - including the size of the partition, the name/contents of the partition, and finally any unallocated or free disk-space.
But a screenshot would be best since we need a "picture" of your drive's configuration.

So what's the problem here? Your new recently-cloned 500 GB SSD indicates its boot (C) partition takes up the full disk-space capacity of the drive, i.e., 465 GB (following the Win 7 SR 100 MB partition). Isn't that what you want?

I responded before seeing your latest screenshots. So now there's some 6.49 GB of unallocated disk-space following the boot partition? That's the problem? Apparently you re:cloned the source drive?
In any event you can use Disk Management to easily extend the boot partition to encompass the 6+ GB of unallocated disk-space. Just right-click on the C partition and select the Exend... option.

1. First of all if for some reason you desire the C (boot) partition to be sized to 250 GB of disk-space, then use Disk Management to simply shrink its present size to that figure.

2. It's ironic in that's what you apparently desire. Most users welcome the situation that as a result of the disk-cloning operation the d-c program utilizes the ENTIRE disk-space of the destination drive for the cloned contents of the source drive. But, of course, it's your choice.

3. It is true that many d-c programs will create a partition on the destination drive only to the extent of the source drive's partition. So in your case since you apparently were cloning the contents of a 250 GB drive you assumed that size partition would be created on the destination drive, neglecting the remaining disk-space of the 500 GB HDD.

Capiche?

One thing more. Many, if not most, d-c programs provide an option during the d-c operation whereby the user can stipulate the size partition he/she desires on the destination drive (as long as the size is large enough to contain the total contents cloned). Perhaps that option was available to you in the EaseUS program and was simply overlooked.

Ken...
Of course you can't EXTEND. THERE'S NOTHING TO EXTEND TO. The total capacity of your new boot drive is 500 GB (actually 465.76 GB of disk-space). ALL, repeat, ALL the contents of your 250 GB HDD are now on that 500 GB HDD. NOTHING IS MISSING. Don't you understand that?

I've explained to you above that if you desire to reduce the created partition you can EASILY do so by SHRINKING the partition (using Disk Management). There's no problem here. Can't you understand that?

Ken...
Of course you can't EXTEND. THERE'S NOTHING TO EXTEND TO. The total capacity of your new boot drive is 500 GB (actually 465.76 GB of disk-space). ALL, repeat, ALL the contents of your 250 GB HDD are now on that 500 GB HDD. NOTHING IS MISSING. Don't you understand that?

I've explained to you above that if you desire to reduce the created partition you can EASILY do so by SHRINKING the partition (using Disk Management) as long as the partition you create is large enough to contain the cloned contents. There's no problem here. Can't you understand that?

casebier.ken

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017
APPARENTLY WE DO NOT UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER, ArtPog.
Shrinking shows increments of MB, not GB.
I should have tons of space on this drive. Where is that space and how can I get to it?
I agree that NOTHING is wrong with the OS and the other applications.
Yesterday, after cloning I extended the C Drive so that the additional space would show. Today the entire disk is full.
I cloned for EXTRA space thinking that the 500GB would allow for some extra space for future use. So, how did the cloning improve anything?
I could have cloned 250GB to 250GB, right?

I would recommend taking a look at the application WinDirStat, it gives you a visualize representation of the files on your drive and can help you quickly identify what is taking up space. It almost sounds like the content on your drive made a second copy and filled up your drive.

Ken:
I just have these one or two basic questions and trust you will respond to them.

Your newly-cloned 500 GB SSD (actually 465.+ in disk-space) indicates from your latest screenshot that it contains the entire disk-space of the drive (less, of course, the trifling 100 MB SR partition). That is correct, is it not?

Now within that 465.+ are presumably the entire contents of your 250 GB source drive, i.e., the drive that you cloned over its contents to the 500 GB drive.

We can see from the screenshot that the new 500 GB drive is a bootable drive so it's obvious the OS (Win 7?) was apparently cloned over to the new boot drive without any problems. Presumably the remaining data on the 250 GB source drive (your programs, apps, personal data, etc.) were also cloned over to the C partition of the 500 GB drive.

Are you indicating that this is not so? That there is data missing on the new boot drive that was residing on the 250 GB source drive? Is that the problem here?

casebier.ken

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017
ArtPog:
Hello. All contents from the 250GB source drive are present and working. I wrongly assumed that I had done something wrong within the cloning process which had messed with the C: partition and the subsequent size. I did not take into consideration that I had ticked a box within my Cloud based storage backup to also backup recovery to C: - this hadn't or couldn't happen because there was no room left on the original drive. With Warden's suggestion I utilized the WinDirStat application and found a huge allotment of save space dedicated to files specific to CrashPlan. The size of these files are exactly that of the original drive and its contents, so I inferred that CrashPlan downloaded the recovery data to C: drive which made it appear full. The problem was never with cloning, but I did not suspect that CrashPlan could ever be the source. I mistakenly found fault within the cloning of the original drive. Thank you for your help with this matter.