Question Cloned SSD from HDD wont boot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
I recently got my brother a SSD, and did like I did when I got one of mine, cloned it and replaced it where the HDD used to be
I tried putting it in a new SATA slot but the BIOS didn't see it as bootable, possible first issue

When booting from the new SSD in where the old HDD was, I get the message that the drive is not bootable

I'm pretty sure I missed a step, did I need to do something with the partitions on the new SSD
Also it would be much easier if I could boot it from the drive bay expansion slot, but it doesn't come up at all in the BIOS
Thanks in advance

USAFRet

Titan
Three virtual drives on the original drive. One is 230 GB, one is 10 GB, and one is like 10MB
I thought the three drives were three separate partitions
Goofy I know it's some kind of HP thing, the old drive came from a HP PC
Wait...you're trying to clone a drive out of an HP, and into some new system?
That's a whole other level of complexity, that almost certainly won't work.

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Wait...you're trying to clone a drive out of an HP, and into some new system?
That's a whole other level of complexity, that almost certainly won't work.

Yeah I didn't even think about it.
It worked when I just ripped it out of the old and put it into my brother's years ago.
How do I remove the other two virtual drives that were cloned over to the SSD from the HP drive

USAFRet

Titan
How do I remove the other two virtual drives that were cloned over to the SSD from the HP drive
What is the ultimate end state?
A clean Win 10 install on this SSD? If so, just delete those partitions during the install.

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
What is the ultimate end state?
A clean Win 10 install on this SSD? If so, just delete those partitions during the install.

Yes that is the plan.
So I will need to leave both drives connected for this, correct? Since the media installing from in this case would be the old drive correct

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
'both drives' ?

You have the USB flash drive that you have created, and the one SSD connected.
That is all.
Read through the linked instructions a time or two.

Okay so I will need to create the Windows media then
I didn't think I needed to do that since it Win10 was already installed on the old drive and I can do it through Windows
Okay I'll follow those for each step then

USAFRet

Titan
The guide doesn't say anything about creating the installation media from what I can see
Is that created after I select perform a clean install through Windows
Yes it does.

In part:
9xcwc4f.png

And it continues from there.

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
UGH more problems
Windows can't be installed on the new drive, because the cloned partitions from the old drive are now on the new, and I can't remove them. I formatted them, but there is still a partition labeled SYSTEM and no matter what I try I cannot remove it. I tried diskpart and the override command and no go.
How do I revert the new SSD back to how it was when it came out of the box?
Thanks in advance

USAFRet

Titan
UGH more problems
Windows can't be installed on the new drive, because the cloned partitions from the old drive are now on the new, and I can't remove them. I formatted them, but there is still a partition labeled SYSTEM and no matter what I try I cannot remove it. I tried diskpart and the override command and no go.
How do I revert the new SSD back to how it was when it came out of the box?
Thanks in advance
Again, in that link, it tells you exactly how to do this.

When it asks 'where', select Custom.
You'll be presented with a list of all partitions on the drive. Delete each one, eventually leaving one blank space.

IcuMejM.png

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Again, in that link, it tells you exactly how to do this.

When it asks 'where', select Custom.
You'll be presented with a list of all partitions on the drive. Delete each one, eventually leaving one blank space.

IcuMejM.png

It wouldn't let me delete them like I said. The installation did not get far, that's why I tried using diskpart

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
If the "install" did not let you delete them, then you did something incorrectly.
Booting from a viable USB will let you delete ANYTHING on the drive in question.

Not sure what I could be doing wrong,
It has an option to format the partition, it gives me a message if you delete this etc, I click okay, and the partition is still there. Hit refresh, nothing. Just the two partitions the SYSTEM partition I'm trying to get rid of, and the unused space, both of which say Windows cannot be installed on this partition
The install has the option of formatting the partition, everything else is grayed out and when I click format it does nothing.

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Not "format", but rather DELETE.

If you're not seeing a DELETE option for all the partitions on the desired drive, you're in the wrong place or doing it wrong.

Delete is grayed out. Only format is available.
Yeah yeah, must be doing something wrong right?
I'll ask people who don't just assume I'm stupid
Thanks for nothing

Nobody assumes you are stupid, however, having done this exact procedure on literally over 100 different systems using all different kinds of storage media options, I've never encountered a similar issue unless there was something wrong with the storage device. Even then the option wasn't grayed out, it just kept locking up.

I'd try using Gparted by creating bootable Gparted media, removing all the partitions that way, then boot back into the Windows installer and see if you can install to the unpartitioned space now or not. If not, then there is a problem with your drive.

But being honest, using Gparted is a bit more complex than the Windows installer, so there could be a bit of a learning curve there AND when using Gparted you have to make sure to hit the "Apply" button after adding any actions to the queue.

Also, you have to CLICK on the partition in question, and then the option to Delete the partition will un-gray. It's not a right click option and it's not an option at all if one of the partitions isn't selected. I'll assume you already understood that though, since, you know, we're all adults here.

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Nobody assumes you are stupid, however, having done this exact procedure on literally over 100 different systems using all different kinds of storage media options, I've never encountered a similar issue unless there was something wrong with the storage device. Even then the option wasn't grayed out, it just kept locking up.

I'd try using Gparted by creating bootable Gparted media, removing all the partitions that way, then boot back into the Windows installer and see if you can install to the unpartitioned space now or not. If not, then there is a problem with your drive.

But being honest, using Gparted is a bit more complex than the Windows installer, so there could be a bit of a learning curve there AND when using Gparted you have to make sure to hit the "Apply" button after adding any actions to the queue.

Also, you have to CLICK on the partition in question, and then the option to Delete the partition will un-gray. It's not a right click option and it's not an option at all if one of the partitions isn't selected. I'll assume you already understood that though, since, you know, we're all adults here.

Well that person above kept saying I must be doing something wrong like I'm an idiot, I've tried everything I could and he's not the one having the issue, just adding to it. I don't need that crap right now.
It's something to do with the cloned drive being HP it has to be.
Fml I should have just did a clean install to begin with, this is turning into a nightmare.
Maybe I'm better off just returning the SSD to Best Buy, and exchanging for a new one.
I'll check out Gparted I'll figure it out like I said, not stupid
However I only have one flash drive and the Windows media is on it now.
I'll look around and see if I have another somewhere

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

The Gparted requires all these formatting steps on a USB drive a bit out of my realm.
I'm screwed, should have never cloned the HP drive
I've never liked HP and now I hate them lol
Going to try and return it to Best Buy
Thanks anyway

"That person" was trying to help you, and was assuming you were NOT an idiot, or stupid, or any other non-intelligent disparaging label you'd care to slap on somebody. Because if he wasn't, he wouldn't have bothered trying to outline the necessary steps or reassure you that something had been missed. He'd have just left you to it and walked away. He didn't do that, and you were fortunate even though you apparently were unable to get it worked out because when it comes to this type of procedure there is probably very few, if any, more experienced and even tempered individuals to have been lucky enough to get help from.

He's who "I" ask for help, when I get stumped with something storage related. It's not that often, but it happens. There's lots more I could tell you about "that person" but I assure you that belittling you or making character assumptions regarding your ability to get the deed done if you would simply slow down and follow the steps, backtracking if necessary, were never in the game plan for him, me or anybody else here. We have time, but we don't intend to waste it on fools or whiners, so the fact that we were trying to help you through this says nobody believed that's what you were.

In any case, I'd be willing to bet there is either something wrong with the drive or the motherboard, because what you've described (IF you followed my guide 100%) should never even be possible.

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
It's always the same on these forums, the I'm right you're wrong attitude, I come here for help and get all this crap instead. I must have done something wrong, a lecture from you, I'm done.
The fact you're both moderators makes it even worse.
Deleting my account here
Your guide sucks by the way

Status
Not open for further replies.