Dec 23, 2021
Hello,
I had recently cloned my 1TB WD Blue HDD to my Kingston 240GB SSD. Upon cloning, I had just wanted to clone the system and with AOMEI I had done so. After doing this I had waited 8 hours or so and everything seemed to have copied over. Including the partitions and system files. I had also checked that both of the disks are in fact in GPT format. Everything seemed normal so I went and restarted my pc. Upon entering the Bios I went to change boot priority to the Kingston 240 GB and it launches. But when it launches it says "preparing automatic repair" or something like that and brings me to the "choose an option screen." I click the "Continue " button to launch up windows but instead the computer restarts and brings me back to the screen. I can still enter the BIOS and change boot priority back to my hard drive (that's how I'm typing) but it seems when I try to launch off of my SSD it just continues to reboot. I've also tried the troubleshoot options but it either doesn't work or says I have to be on an administrator account. I am the only one that uses this computer and I haven't even gotten to the login screen so technically I wouldn't be logged in to any accounts, right?

AOMEI screenshot
unknown.png

The partitions circled in yellow are recovery partitions, the ones circled in black are "Healthy EFI system partitions" and when hovered over has a capacity of 98MB and 99MB and both are "FAT32" The one circled in red just says it's unformatted

Disk Management Screenshot
unknown.png

Any help would be appreciated, thanks ")

I don't mind doing the cloning process again I was just wondering if there was any other way to get it to work, as the cloning took like 8 hours so i don't really want to go through that again. If that is what you recommend, how should I go about it?

USAFRet

Titan
I don't mind doing the cloning process again
Redo it.

The first thing you MUST do at the end of the clone process is...
Power OFF
Physically disconnect the old drive
Allow the system to try to boot up from only the new drive.

Thusly:
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

I assume disk 1 is the source drive and disk 0 is the destination for the clone.

Source drive C partition has about 207 GB occupied, with over 700 free.

Not sure why you are cloning to a much smaller 240 GB drive when your source C already has 207 occupied.

Destination drive F has only 90 occupied, with no sign of boot files.

You could try imaging rather than a clone.

You could try Macrium rather than Aomei

Dec 23, 2021
I assume disk 1 is the source drive and disk 0 is the destination for the clone.

Source drive C partition has about 207 GB occupied, with over 700 free.

Not sure why you are cloning to a much smaller 240 GB drive when your source C already has 207 occupied.

Destination drive F has only 90 occupied, with no sign of boot files.

You could try imaging rather than a clone.

You could try Macrium rather than Aomei
Im trying to move windows to my ssd becuase my hard drive is getting slow, I used the system clone to just move the system files which is why 90gb is taken up. I am trying to format the drive to retry the clone and will see what happens after that

You can likely add boot files to the cloned partition. It's a common operation, but I'm not familiar with it. Maybe using BCDBoot?

That may or MAY NOT solve your problem. Cloning is not extremely reliable although it typically works. Obviously didn't in this case.