[SOLVED] Cloned System SSD, now wrong SSD model detected in Device Manager + Slow Benchmarks

stundrah

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
I cloned my system drive from a 250GB 970 EVO to a 1TB 970 EVO Plus which I then installed in the same M.2 slot.

Everything seems to be working fine, except my Device Manager and benchmark software still detects my system drive as being a 250GB 970 EVO. The only exception is Samsung Magician which detects the correct model.

Also, my benchmarks have been a bit on the slow side, especially in Passmark where I get half the advertized speeds. My speeds in Samsung Magician are fine tho.

I tried refreshing the device and updating the drivers in Device Manager. The only thing I didn't try it deteting the device and reinstalling it. I was wondering... is it safe to delete the device even if it's my main OS drive?

Thanks!

Solution
Passmark just does scoring, those are not rel values. If Trim wasn't invoked for some time, triming before benchmark helps with higher scores.
Besides that, benchmarks are not very important, in real work speeds depend on many other things. Even with best scores system can choke speed right down.
Other things that influence real speed is size of files, amount of disk cache (that's how using Rapid mode artificially shows much higher speeds), how aggressively AV works etc. Copying between that disk and others also works at speed of slower one.
I cloned my system drive from a 250GB 970 EVO to a 1TB 970 EVO Plus which I then installed in the same M.2 slot.

Everything seems to be working fine, except my Device Manager and benchmark software still detects my system drive as being a 250GB 970 EVO. The only exception is Samsung Magician which detects the correct model.

Also, my benchmarks have been a bit on the slow side, especially in Passmark where I get half the advertized speeds. My speeds in Samsung Magician are fine tho.

I tried refreshing the device and updating the drivers in Device Manager. The only thing I didn't try it deteting the device and reinstalling it. I was wondering... is it safe to delete the device even if it's my main OS drive?

Thanks!
Don't delete "Device" but only uninstall driver for it " Samsung NVM Express Driver" either from device manager or Control panel - Programs and Features, than you can update driver to last one from Samsung site.

stundrah

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
You can change device description in registry (FriendlyName key).

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SCSI\Disk&Ven_NVMe&Prod_Samsung_SSD_970\***\
FriendlyName

Thank you, but I ended up finding a pretty simple solution. I re downloaded Samsung's NVMe drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled them, and now my drive has the correct name in Device Manager and all benchmarking software.

However, my read and write speeds are still very low in Passmark compared to CrystalDisk and Samsung Magician. I tried the drive in another computer, and the benchmark in Passmark actually gave the right speeds. So I went through my bios settings trying to figure out if something could be affecting that, but everything seems fine. Not sure why Passmark shows slow speeds only on one machine.

Passmark just does scoring, those are not rel values. If Trim wasn't invoked for some time, triming before benchmark helps with higher scores.
Besides that, benchmarks are not very important, in real work speeds depend on many other things. Even with best scores system can choke speed right down.
Other things that influence real speed is size of files, amount of disk cache (that's how using Rapid mode artificially shows much higher speeds), how aggressively AV works etc. Copying between that disk and others also works at speed of slower one.

Last edited:
Solution

Latest posts