Question Cloned Windows 10 drive only boots with source drive as D:

ocjoe75

BANNED
Mar 31, 2019
I finally bought an SSD for my Windows 10 Home desktop. It's the same size as my old HDD, 500GB. I cloned the HDD successfully via Norton Ghost 2003 on a bootable DVD (I know it's obsolete, but the function and filesystem are still the same since NTFS). When I booted the cloned SSD alone, the Blue Screen of <Mod Edit> appears.
[Recovery: Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Error code 0xc000000e]
"Retry and repair" do absolutely nothing. But when I have both drives plugged in [cloned SSD on C: SATA0, and the old HDD on D: SATA1] I can boot from the SSD just fine, which I verified by all the silence. Why won't it boot alone and how can I easily fix it? Thanks.

Was a 90s-early2000s computer tech and sadly, so much has changed hardly any of that knowledge applies today. It's not worth learning it all again and again and again every time there is a new version. Forget M$ and Bill Gates! And forget you too Apple and Facebook for ruining the world, as we once knew it!

Last edited by a moderator:

ocjoe75

BANNED
Mar 31, 2019
norton ghost 2003???

Er... you are using software that states its 16 years old....
Why?
So many others out there for free EaseUS for one...

It's what I had on hand without doing too much BS. I just don't trust anything online anymore, "freeware" utilities become adware and/or trojan horses, and I can't stand having to give up my info just to use an app.

I think you should remove the last 2 lines of your post because you may get removed for saying that.

Thanks for the heads up, but that is how I feel about the whole situation, they make it harder for end users and computer techs when they add all the antipiracy protection. I get that they want every single dollar they can squeeze out of us, but we shouldn't have to reinstall Windows, on any level, just to upgrade a device.

USAFRet

Titan
For future migration reference:

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.