Clonezilla

Jack64

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Has anyone ever used this?? My 1 TB wd Caviar finally got here today and I wasn't looking forward to reinstalling windows vista and ALL my programs and stuff on it. So I decided to look around for perhaps a program that would basically clone my 500gb primary to my new 1 tb wd. Well I found a program called Clonezilla live, it's free and it works like a charm. What it does is downloads a self extracting file that uses your existing dvd software (nero 7) and burns an ISO image with a linux Kernal to a cd. Since it is bootable on next reboot it goes thru some menus and you pick the options and then after 30 minutes all your stuff is on the new drive and WORKS just like it did on your old drive. It really is amazing. Just type in Clonezilla on google and there it is. Just thought I'd post this, it might help some people. Thanks here is the link:

http://clonezilla.org/

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Several HDD manufacturers will give you a free copy of their software for just this purpose - cloning from an old drive to a new one, usually involving a much larger new drive. If it does not come on a CD with the drive, you can download free from their website. My own experience is with Disk Wizard from Seagate, but I know WD has something similar, and I'm sure some others have similar utilities. One important factor I've seen is that they may make a clone TO only their own drives, although they don't care about the source. After all, these are simply sales support tools to help you begin use of the drive they just sold you.

For example, if you just bought a Seagate drive, their Disk Wizard will help you make it your new larger bootable C: drive with absolutely EVERYTHING from your old drive moved over. You have choices available about the size of the Partitions, the File System type, whether or not the drive is bootable, or maybe you are just adding a non-bootable empty drive for data.

Jack64

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
LOL, that figures....Thanks, It didn't even occur to me (idiot here) to go there. OMG, I feel like a doofus. Geeze. I'm gunna go hide now, what a moron I am.